It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E8 Units
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 1999 11:09 pm 

<P>I am wondering if anyone knows where Wabash E8 units #s 1008 and 1015 are? I asked NS about this and their reply showed those two as having been traded to GE, and sold to Precision or National (almost a direct quote from the letter)in the late '60s or early '70s. Also, <br>did EL E8 #823 remain on EL through Conrail, or was it sold prior to 1976.<p>Thanks,<p>Phil<br>ELRRco@AOL.com<br>

ELRRco@AOL.com

Post subject: Re: E8 Units
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 1999 3:54 pm 

<P>Hi Phil<p>EL 823 did'nt make it, but 833 did, becoming 4022, one of CR's executive Es. Alas, I spotted it at Altoona in 1993, but my lasting image of it is how it looked with another E, both on the point of the Chicago-Lake Cities, the Erie Limited, ah, but you understanmd <br>Best,<br>Tom<br>

TomJacklin@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 1999 5:47 pm 

<P>NS 1000, one of the former Conrail E-8's, is being auctioned at Altoona today. I've lost track of which one it is, but I am also told that the two E-8's CSXT got are also out of service and stored pending disposition. <br>

K4s1361@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 1999 1:56 am 

<P>$185,000 to the Levin's from Philadelphia. I wuz there.<br>

SZuidervee@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 1999 4:13 pm 

<P>Who are the Levin's from Philadelphia? Hopefully, if they paid $185,000 for the unit they are not scrap dealers. We've lost far too many E-units already.<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net

Post subject: Re: New owners
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 2:22 pm 

<P>Boadly put, without violating too much privacy here, "they" are the owners and operators of PRR 120, a former PRR business car now used as a PV; Juniata Terminal, a private passenger-car shop and storage facility in North Philadelphia adjacent to the NE Corridor; PRR EMD switcher 9251, based at Juniata Terminal; and a host of other RR rolling stock and/or items. "They" are affiliated with the PRR Technical & Historical Society and several RR museums.<p>In short: Although they spent $185K, the loco is now in relatively good and safe hands.<br>

LNER4472@gateway.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 7:59 pm 

<P>To say that this unit is in "relativly good and safe hands" is an understatement that could almost be construed as a borderline insult. I had the opportunity to visit the Juniata Terminal Company shops some time ago. The level of quality and attention to detail Bennett Levin's people displayed on car 120 is fantastic. We also got to see one of their recently outshopped SW-1500 switchers (that looked as good as Car 120)as well as a former Conrail GP-10 that was undergoing overhaul. Even their 100 ton wrecker and highway trucks look like museum pieces. In talking to one of the guys that works there it seems that they don't do any Passenger car work except for repairs and maintenance on the 120, and most of their work the past 4 years has been on locomotives. Also Levin's son Eric runs the locomotive department for Conrail Shared Assets where he is highly regarded. I think these folks know what their doing. <br>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 9:02 pm 

<P>I worked with E.B. Levin at Conrail, He's a top shelf EMD man. Not exactaly the kind of person you would expect to find in managment! <br>

Post subject: Re: New owners.An Apology
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 11:41 pm 

<P>I received an Email from Daniel Levin off line last night. I certainly meant no insult to them, and if I did insult them or anyone else, I would like to swiftly and publicly apologize to all concerned. I had heard that PRR #120 had found an excellent home, but I did not know the name of her owners. In his note to me, he said that he, his father, and his brother plan to put her back in her original PRR colors and to restore her original number. I applaud them for their purchase, and wish them nothing but success with their newest acquisition. I hope my lack of name recognition did not hurt any feelings, and if they did please accept my sincere apology.<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net

Post subject: Re: New owners.An Apology
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 1999 7:08 am 

<P>By the way its Dean not Daniel<p>Thanks<p>Dean<br>

dlevin6494@aol.com