It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Market Street Square
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 1999 7:29 am 

<P>A while back on the www.railfan.netABPR site (4/24/00) there were photos of passenger cars and an ex-military diesel supposedly being scrapped at "Market Street Square". Can anyone tell us where this was and some more about it?<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Market Street Square
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 1999 8:58 am 

<P>Market Strret Square was, at one time, a railroad themed hotel/resteraunt complex in Wikes Barre Pa, centered around the old CNJ station. It went through several owners, who spent less and less on maintaining the place. While a a little on the "hokey" side, there were some gems, an old vulcan side rod switcher, complete with steam locomotive style control stand, 2 business cars (one purchased by Andy Muller and restored to service on the RBMN), a six axle D&H coach and several wooded truss rod box cars. There were also around 4 D&H end-cuopela cabooses, 30+ 50's era steel mechanical reefers, a strealined cafe car (part of a 50's diner, since relocated, the car sits by a big hole in the ground now) and a seamingley endless number of former Reading "Blueliner" coaches painted for the fictional "Revell Railroad". Over the years vandalism took its toll, and the current owner is gradully selling off most of the collection there with in creased pressure from the city to clean up the site. I know 2 reading coaches (badly damaged by fire) were being cut up the last I heard. Many other coaches are still there, sadly none road worthy, as the brake applaiences were cut off to make way for air conditioners under the cars years ago. I know at least 2 cars and three reefers were sold and are part of an antiques store near Danville Pa, and there are others whos disposal I can't recall. The station sits on the site still, resonably well kept as a nite club, most of the cars are still on site, in poor condition, the hotel folding around 1992. The diesel is still there and was litsted with Barnhart some time ago. It is sad to see it now, I remember the place in its glory in the early 80's, and it was really something. I can e-mail photos taken in april 2000 to anyone interested.<br>

bing@epix.net

Post subject: Re: Market Street Square
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 1999 1:28 pm 

<P>If I remember correctly all of those Reading coaches still had their Sharon Couplers still in place. If anything, would it be possible to save the knuckles, throwers, locks, etc. I know I could use a few of these and no doubt many others out there could as well!<p>David Farlow<br>Whitewater Valley RR<br>

rfarlow@bcaconsultants.com

Post subject: Re: Market Street Square and Sharon coupler components
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 1999 11:07 pm 

<P>Here at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum, we could use some Sharon knuckles etc. so Dave, PLEASE count us in! Anyone else out there?<br><br>

midlandblb@cs.com