It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worth Protecting and Preserving?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 1999 8:55 pm 

<P>The railroad bridge in our town is touted as the widest swingspan in the US (or world?). It spans the mile-wide Mississippi here. There recently has been talk about replacing this bridge. I am interested in preserving it and beautifying it. How does one go about establishing its historical value and work toward preserving it when it is privately held by BNSF? Also, I work in an industrial paint manufacturing plant and think it would be wonderful for us to have a part in preserving our community bridge (and I submitted a suggestion for our 200th anniversary celebration to paint historical bridges in the country-perhaps Fort Madison Sante Fe Bridge). Support for keeping our bridge wanes as older citizens who remember it being built die. Is there something that can be done?<p>Danette Hennigar<br><br>

HennigarSix@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Worth Protecting and Preserving?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 1999 12:22 am 

<P>I dont think you note actually mentions the name of the town in which the bridge is located. Could you tell us? Also, is the bridge in active railroad service, or is it on an abandoned line?<p>A little more information would help us make some productive suggestions.<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Worth Protecting and Preserving?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 1999 2:10 pm 

<P>The bridge is located in Fort Madison, IA. It is in active service. One argument for removing it is that it has been a hazard for barges to navigate through and has been struck by a barge or two in the past. <br>

dmhennigar@worldnet.att.net