It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: B&LE #643 makeover
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 9:45 pm 

<P>How fast was the 5632 able to go without out the 6315 on the way back to Chicago? Also what happened to the 15'?<p>Thanks. <br>

tvasbinder@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: B&LE #643 makeover
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 2:54 am 

<P>Ted: All of the Burlington M4's were eventually scrapped including the 6315 and (apparently) the two or three that Northwestern Steel & Wire used as stationary boilers for a time at their Sterling, Illinois steel plant.<p>As for the run back from Galesburg to Chicago behind #5632; I don't recall the exact length of the train but think it ran about 20 to 22 cars. This was a mix of heavyweights and streamlined cars (as was the case of many of the Q's fantrips in those days.) Because we first had to stop at Clyde yard to pickup the 6315 (the Q didn't let her go back into Union Station), then we stopped for the photo runby at Zearing, then we stopped once when the first eccentric broke on the 2-10-4, then again when the second eccentric broke. We may also have stopped for coal for the 6315 in Mendota but I don't recall that for sure. Anyway, by the time we got to Galesburg, it was way past the advertised arrival time. Then the Q used a diesel switcher to turn the whole train at Galesburg (unfortunately I stayed on the train, a mistake I rue to this day.) Most roads would have thrown in the towel by this time and used diesels to get us back to Chicago but not the Burlington! Number 5632 backed on to the train and I think (but am not sure) that we left Galesburg not long before the sun set. I do remember hanging out a dutch door roaring through town after town with the mars light rocking through the night. Someone said they checked some mile markers and we were doing "better than 80." I can't confirm it but I don't doubt it. We got home late but at least at a reasonable hour. That was the day I finally fully appreciated what the O5's could do!<p>I often tell my wife that IF anyone ever decides to fix up one of the remaining O5's, we are putting the house up for sale and moving out to that particular place!!<p> <br>

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: O5's
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 11:04 am 

<P>Are there pictures of these Northerns somewhere? Where are the remaining locmotives of this class? I've often admired the Q's Hudson in Galesburg and I think there is another at IRM (S-4 class?)<br>I'd like to know more of these two classes of Q steam. Thanks! <br><br>

Post subject: Re: O5's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 1999 4:11 am 

<P>There are several O-5s in existence. 5629 is at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. I saw it in March 1998 and it was in very good cosmetic shape. The link in my message will bring up a picture of it. 5614 is in St. Joseph, Missouri at Patee Park. I am unaware of its condition, but figure it is a normally poorly cared for park display. 5633 is located in Douglas, Wyoming. 5631 is located in Sheridan, Wyoming. I am unsure if any of the park display engines have moved recently. It would be great to see one of these fabulous engines run again! I understand that they had a spectacular loud exhaust.<br>There are a total of five of the CB&Q Hudsons preserved. 3001 in Ottumwa, IA, 3003 in Burlington, IA, 3006 in Galesburg, 3007 at the Illinois Railway Museum, and 4000 in La Crosse, WI. It would be great to see the 3007 at the IRM run again, but as always in Railway Preservation, where to raise the money?<br>

hubbard5004@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 1999 12:10 pm 

<P>Mr. Hubbard is correct about the four O5 4-8-4's and the five S4 4-6-4's being preserved and has their locations right. The only thing I would add is that the 5614 and the 5629 are both O5b's (oil burners) and the 5631 and 5633 are both O5a's (coal burners.) I believe that all 5 of the Hudsons are coal burners. The 5614 is somewhat of a mystery locomotive to me. For many years I did not know she existed. On my first fan trip on the Q, I rode behind O5a #5618 which was a coal burner and had the front end look of a class S4 Hudson. Number 5618 (like the four survivors) was built in the roads West Burlington Shops. Number 5614 was built in 1937 whereas the other three existing engines were constructed in 1940. Since I have never seen the 5614, and since she was obviously built BEFORE the 5618, does she also have a front end like a Burlington Hudson or was she made to look like one of the 1940 group when she was converted to burn oil? Is there any Burlingon fan out there who knows? Does anyone have a photo of her (either in service or on display in St. Joseph)?<p>I also echo Mr. Hubbards view that it sure would be great to see one of these engines in steam again (or a BURLINGTON Mike for that matter.) <br>

midlandblb@cs.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 5:04 pm 

<P>This is a response to L Beckman's desire to see what the CB&Q 5614 looks like today. Under www.steamlocomotive.com, I found this picture of the 5614. I does not have the large pilot and retractable coupler like the other surviving CB&Q O-5s. 5614 has a CB&Q slat pilot like the Hudsons, but on the pilot deck there is a squarish sheet metal enclosure and the Hudsons did not have this feature. I don't believe the enclosure on the O-5s was for air pumps, since they appear to be side mounted ahead of the firebox. The enclosure on the 5614 appears to be somewhat smaller and more boxy that the newer O-5s. Hope this helps. May one of us be a lottery winner and bring an O-5 back!! The 5632's destruction still hurts. <br>

hubbard5004@msn.com

Post subject: Re: O5's and #5614 in particular
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 6:57 pm 

<P>Paul: Thanks for the photo of #5614 on display at St. Joseph. Some interesting features. First, you are right about the slat pilot as on the S4's. I seem to recall that the 5618 had spoked drivers when I rode behind her in 1958 whereas the `14 has what appears to be boxpox type drivers. Also, no white/red gyrating Mars light over the headlight! Was it taken off when put on display? Or did it never have one? Maybe someone at the Burlington Historical Society can tell us and also advise what that squarish sheet metal enclosure was for (must have housed something; perhaps train control instrumentation?)<p>All in all, she doesn't look in too bad of shape (of course, the picture is undated.) Wonder what kind of shape her boiler is in? And if there is that "nasty white stuff" under the boiler jacketing? Would be nice to see her under steam some time but lottery winners are few and far between.<br>

midlandblb@cs.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 7:11 pm 

<P>The Worthington hot water pump (part of the feedwater heater system) lives under the sheet-metal housing on the pilot beam. The air compressors are mounted one to a side, rather than on the pilot, lke many modern 4-8-4s.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 8:15 pm 

<P>Howard: Thanks for the clarificaton.<br>

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: B&LE #643/CB&Q M4a class/DM&IR E
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 1999 4:00 am 

<P>Richard and Kevin and others interested:<p>Did you notice the BRIEF about MILWAUKEE ROAD 4-8-4 #261 running on the Missabe? Maybe #643 as Missabe #718 ain't such a stretch after all! And then later maybe on the BNSF as CB&Q #6328????<p><p><br>

midlandblb@cs.com