It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flying Yankee question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 1999 1:49 am 

<P>I just visited the Flying Yankee restoration site and have a question. On their main page there the following sentence: "The Flying Yankee Train, one of only three articulated Streamliners ever built, is roaring back to New England, just in time for the new millennium." If it's one of only three articulated streanliners built, then what do you call all the articulated sets that Burlington had built starting with the Pioneer Zeyphr? Is this a typo on their part or am I not getting something?

Flying Yankee WEbsite
davelecount@juno.com

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 1999 12:08 am 

<P>I count four fully articulated Budd trainsets on the Burlington and the B&M Flying Yankee:<br>CB&Q 9900 delivered 5/34<br>B&M 6000 delivered 2/35<br>CB&Q 9901 delivered 4/35 for Twin Zephyr<br>CB&Q 9902 delivered 4/35 for Twin Zephyr<br>CB&Q 9903 delivered 10/35 for Mark Twain Zephyr<br><br>

bnorden@gateway.net

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 1999 5:33 am 

<P>Perhaps the ad should have said one of the first three articulated streamliners ever built, the others being the Pioneer Zephyr, and the M-10,000 of the Union Pacific. I'd be interested in knowing how many of those other Burlington articulated trains still exist.<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net

Post subject: Mark Twain Zephyr
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 1999 8:23 am 

<P>Isn't someone in Illinois restoring the Mark Twain Zephyr? I've heard this rumor before, but even if it's true I can't think of where they would run it. Of coarse it would be interesting if they could come up with an agreement with IRM and run it there.<br>

davelecount@juno.com

Post subject: Re: Mark Twain Zephyr
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 12:27 am 

<P>Speaking of IRM, their Nebraska Zephyr is an articulated set, and if I am correct, the E5 is not the orginal power for this set. I believe that some of the orginal power was some of the Q's 4-6-4s. I had the thrill to be inside of the engine room while running of one of the shovel nose Zephyrs while at the 90 NRHS convention at the StLouis Museum of Transport. I do not know what further developments there were on their restoration efforts on this unit. I know that the complete train was not there. <br>

Post subject: Zephyr Loco at Museum of Transportation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 6:21 pm 

<P>The "shovel nose" Zephyr loco at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis is CB&Q #9908, the "Silver Charger" from the "General Pershing Zephyr," built in 1939. It was the last of the custom "shovel nose" units to be built, with an A1A-2 classification. The rear of the unit serves as a baggage car and its rear truck is not powered. The front truck is a standard one found under the E units of the time. It has one EMD V-12 model 567 engine and produces 1000 hp. Its prime mover is operable, but because it is on disconnected track it is very unlikely to be worked on more until it can be moved to the shop after future track changes. It is out in the open and easily photographed, and its lettering was refreshed within the past two years. It is not the locomotive from the "Mark Twain Zephyr," which exists with the gutted remains of its train somewhere near Chicago. <br>

rdgoldfede@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Zephyr Loco at Museum of Transportation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 7:01 pm 

<P>But does anyone remember the article about someone restoring the Mark Twain? I thought a few years ago I read that the owner of a railcar rebuilder had bought the train with the intents to restore it. The only other thing I remember is that the city it is in in Illinois starts with the letter M.<br>

davelecount@juno.com

Post subject: Re: Zephyr Loco at Museum of Transportation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 1999 12:01 pm 

<P>A post on the www.classictrains.com guestbook says,<p>"I do have an update on the Mark Twain Zephyr (Burlington 9903). It was sold to a private individual and stored for several years at the Joliet Army Ammunition Plant. It is now awaiting restoration at Relco Inc. at Minooka IL."<p><br>

eledbetter@rypn.org