It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam boilers for disposal
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 1999 1:00 pm 

<P>Through work in the timber industry in Ghana I am in contact with a sawmill owner who is shortly replacing 2 ex-loco boilers still in use & certified for process steam generation. No details on rating plate, but I can e-mail photo or put anyone interested in contact directly with owner. I estimate boilers approx 1.5m dia, 3m long. I wondered if anyone has a restorable chassis looking for a boiler or are these non interchangeable?<br>Hope I can be of assistance to someone.<br>Regards<br>

murphycj@iol.ie

Post subject: Re: Steam boilers for disposal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 1999 10:29 pm 

<P>I asked Courtney to send his picture to me. After recieving and examining it, I believe they are from Ghana Railways 2xx series 4-8-2 steam locomotives; built by Vulcan Foundry to 3ft 6in guage. Colin Garratt photographed several of these abandoned at Location Works and Accra Shed. According to Colin in later books, all traces of Ghana Railways were fed to the steel mill at Tema. Apparently, these boilers somehow survived. (BTW, several of the 4-8-2s were fitted with Giesl chimneys before being dumped.)<p>

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net