It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roanoke scrapyard engines
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 1999 2:01 pm 

<P>It looks like now might be the time to act if something is going to be done to save the scrapyard steamers in Roanoke. I just received an e-mail alerting me to a plan by the city of Roanoke to redevelop the area around and including the Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal Co. yard. So far, hopes of preserving the three 4-8-0's, a 2-8-0, and a pair of Baldwin diesels have been thwarted by the yard owner's inflated price tag and unwillingness to negotiate for what are essentially basket case engines. Hopefully, the planned redevelopment will provide an opportunity to acquire the engines under more reasonable terms. Unfortunately, it will also mean that if they are to be saved, they will have to be moved quickly. The four Norfolk & Western steam engines are the last survivors of their classes (M2 and M2c 4-8-0's and W2 2-8-0). While it is unlikely that any of them could reasonably be expected to steam again, they are not beyond cosmetic restoration and should be saved. <p>I have included a link to the Roanoke Times article about the planned redevelopment of the site. For more information about the engines, visit the "Lost Engines of Roanoke" web site, http://lostengines.railfan.net

Roanoke Times article (http:www.roanoke.comroatimesnewsstory93880.html)
rjenkins@railfan.net

Post subject: lost locos of New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 1999 3:19 pm 

<P>Several years ago there was an effort in New Zealand to remove additional steam locomotives that had been dumped as rip rap. The most famous was the K88, the American-built 2-4-2 that was restored to operation. I understand it now needs a new boiler. At least one other 2-4-2 was pulled out. Were any others removed? Is the project still active? Any related websites?<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: lost locos of Roanoke,The true problem
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 1999 12:55 am 

<P> I live in Roanoke and I check on the locomotives from time to time.I have a soft spot for these locomotives,but I'm afraid the end is near.<br> The locomotives have been sitting unmoved for fifty years with no attention at all.The guides and gear are pretty well rusted and it will take much more than a few cans of WD40 to get things apart,let alone moving as they were intended.The worst thing about the engines is that they all have asbestos lagging that is working loose from under the rusted and bent jacketing,and is now falling on the ground next to them.The 4-8-0 behind the fence has had its entire jacket on the backhead removed,and the asbestos is hanging freely.The entire backhead is white asbestos.<br> The other two locomotives are so thoroughly covered with vegitation that you can't tell if they are locomotives or just another scrap pile in the scrap yard.<br> I would welcome the chance to meet with others who would like to discuss the fate of these locomotives.Perhaps if we ORGANIZE we can do something about it,but lets be realistic,this group of engines may just be a waste of time and money.There is hardly anyplace to bring them closeby.The Virginia Museum of Transportation is close-by but would most likely shy away from the burden that would be bestowed upon them if they were to be involved.But then again has anyone even asked them?<br> It is possible to remove the locomotives using the railroad because the track they are sitting on could be made to connect to the neighbor Roanoke Cement Co. by simply disconnecting a part of their track and pulling over to connect with the scrapyard with a backhoe.Also a number of ties will need to be replaced and finnaly the two spare water tenders and junked switch engines will have to be moved out of the way.<br> The company I work for,Southeast Railroad Contractors in Salem(Roanoke) does track work like this all the time,and we could do it in a few days.However we are not equiped to move the engines.<br> I think Richard Jenkins is correct in assuming that things had better happen soon because the city of Roanoke acts quickly on such matters.The artical in the Roanoke Times was right on the mark,and notice how they never really gave any mention of the numerous "blighted" small businesses nearby?<p> <br>

btamper@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 1999 10:09 pm 

<P>It must be noted, however, that asbestos must be removed by a licensed contractor whether the engines are scrapped or saved. As for rusted journals, these need to be properly polished and lubricated before the engines are moved at all (even one foot), lest the corrosion be ground into the bearings above. Difficult and unpleasant work, but no different than removing a locomotive from a city park or other outdoor storage. Does anyone know how complete the engines are? What major parts are missing from each?<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 1999 7:05 am 

<P>For starters, all four steamers are missing their tenders which I'm told were scrapped in the 1970's. The two spare tenders in the yard could be paired with two of the 4-8-0's as some of the M2's did run with tenders of this type in their later years. Other orphaned tenders could probably be found quite easily for the other two, though probably not strictly accurate N&W ones.<p>Collectibles like headlights, bells, whistles, gauges, etc. are long gone, as are the air compressers, and possibly the injectors as well. What else is missing varies from engine to engine, and descriptions of each one can be found on the Lost Engines site.

The Lost Engines of Roanoke
rjenkins@railfan.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 1999 7:56 pm 

<P>Virtually everything useful (injectors, compressors, etc.) was stripped off these locos in the 1970s' for the Southern and/or Norfolk southern steam program. I recall that all of the turrets and valves were on a skid down in the cellar of the Irondale Shop at the NS auction (they went cheap).<br>A true pity to see these locos cut up after surviving for so long, but who in this country will spend the money or has the time to save them?<br>If they were in England...<br>J.David<br>

jdconrad@snet.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 1999 6:49 am 

<P>I read an interesting article in a british steam magazine recently that proposed using components of the last and worst refugees from Barry scrapyard that duplicated classes already preserved as sources of hardware to replicate classes with no remaining locomotives. I don't doubt they could do it. Perhaps that might be a way to use our worst basket cases. <p>Or, might an English preserved railway like a nice heavy 4-8-0?<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 1999 10:32 am 

<P>Of course, the major difference there is that those last few Barry hulks are examples of engines that already exist in preservation. There are no preserved N&W M2's or W2's. Most of the Barry engines that are being restored or already have been restored were in worse shape than the Roanoke engines anyway. Although they were there less than half as long, the Barry engines had salty sea air to contend with, and a good many of them were picked over for parts by groups trying to preserve other examples of the same classes. Personally I'd love to see what the Brits could do with an M2.<br>

rjenkins@railfan.net