It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:30 pm 

"Keith Erikson (owner) photo, from the Lackawanna Cutoff Historical Committee closed group:"

As I noted in my post above, the guy who owns the 318 is Lance Erickson, not Keith.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 pm 

Topfuel wrote:
"Keith Erikson (owner) photo, from the Lackawanna Cutoff Historical Committee closed group:"

As I noted in my post above, the guy who owns the 318 is Lance Erickson, not Keith.

Sorry, fixed it, I don't know why different people keep making that mistake, I am not aware of anyone named "Keith Erikson" afik.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:04 pm 

A little more searching around for information:

DL&W 323:
Wrecked in NJ by PC while being delivered to RRPC from LIRR, thus was never assigned a number by RRPC.

DL&W 314:
And now: The Chessie Steam Special/Safety Express Cars
Chessie Safety Special #18: Open air car, ex-PCCA 7200, conv. 1980 from ex-RRP 83-coach 8303, ex-Tumin coach, exx-MTA/LIRR 2184, rblt from EL 68-seat 1314, former DL&W 314 for Phoebe Snow, 1949 ACF, PCCA.

Not sure what the "Tumin" reference is ...

Anyone know where this one went? I know there are some references to it (314) being GSMR 37 “Nantahela”, but I see other sources saying it is ex-DL&W 311.

One could make the case that GSMR 37 “Nantahela” is really 314 when comparing photos of 37 to CSE #18.

CSE #18

GSMR 37

But then that means what happened to DL&W 311?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:36 pm 

"Not sure what the "Tumin" reference is ..."

Louis Tumen Co., the outfit that scrapped many many LIRR cars at Tumen's yard in Corona, Queens, near Shea Stadium/World's Fair site.

Tumen also cut up most of the old PRR Pullman parlor cars used by LIRR, and replaced by the lightweight car fleet.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:07 pm 

Howard P. wrote:
"Not sure what the "Tumin" reference is ..."

Louis Tumen Co., the outfit that scrapped many many LIRR cars at Tumen's yard in Corona, Queens, near Shea Stadium/World's Fair site.

Tumen also cut up most of the old PRR Pullman parlor cars used by LIRR, and replaced by the lightweight car fleet.

Howard, any bit of information is helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:48 am 

MSLRR wrote:
Normally I wouldn't breath life back into a 16 year old post, but it I am looking for the disposition of some equipment...

The thread says everything from RRP went to the B&O Museum when it closed down. But cars were disposed of before the final closeout.
I am looking for the DL&W Coaches that RRP saved from the LIRR scrap line.

Sources tell me that 7 were saved. I can account for 5, but would like to know what happened to the other two.

Current disposition:
DL&W Coach 315 => Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. 8300 => Medina Railway Museum
DL&W Coach 317 => Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. 8301 => Medina Railway Museum
DL&W Coach 318 => Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. 8302 => EL 1318
DL&W Coach 314 => Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. 8303 => ??
DL&W Coach 325 => Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. 8304 => Austin Steam Train “Buckeye Lake”
DL&W Coach 311 => Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. 8305 => GSMR 37 “Nantahela”
DL&W Coach 323 => Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. 8306? => ??

According to this other 16 year old post;
"Looking for Jim Hick's Passenger Equipment" http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7990

"Also note from roster that 3 cars belonging to the Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc were ex-Long Island, ex-EL, original Lackawanna coaches #315,#317 & #325."

From what I have seen ...
315 went through OMID and COE Rail
317 went through at least COE Rail
325 went directly to Austin
318 went through OMID and the support fleet for Cotton Belt 819
311 went through Maryland Midland and EnterTrainment

I'd like to find out what happened to DLW 314/RRP 8302 and DLW 323/RRP 8306(?). I know they made it out of the Corona/LIC Scrap Line.

Thanks in advance!

I received a reply to an old query on facebook (second time in two weeks!) I think because of the changes there, from the owner of 318, here is what he says:

"There is a car on the Austin Steam train with Burlington seats. From 261 group. Two in Media NY, one made into a New York Central table car. The other tubed out and damaged. One as a open car in Georgia on a tourist train. And mine left that I know of."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:48 pm 

The tail car for the Chessie Safety Express was square-end obs Edward Hooper I believe. It's not part of the listing of cars for RRP from what I read. Was it part of their collection or not? I believe it was still sitting in Camden station in CSE paint into the mid-1980s. Does it still exist and does anyone know it's heritage?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:17 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
The tail car for the Chessie Safety Express was square-end obs Edward Hooper I believe. It's not part of the listing of cars for RRP from what I read. Was it part of their collection or not? I believe it was still sitting in Camden station in CSE paint into the mid-1980s. Does it still exist and does anyone know it's heritage?

Yes, the "Hooper" was owned by RRP. It is in the collection of the B&O Railroad Museum.
http://www.borail.org/3302.aspx

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:26 pm 

Thanks Alan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:03 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Another RRP mystery has popped up:

The photo archives of the late Charles T. Mahan was left to the Ma & Pa Historical Society, and volunteers for both the M&PHS and Baltimore Chapter NRHS/Md. Rail Heritage Library are scanning the photos in question for the M&PHS with dupe digital files being filed for the MRHL for reference but not for publication.

One photo turned up of this car at the Hagerstown, Md. WM roundhouse:
Slide was supposedly labeled "Baltimore & Ohio 3304 3-15-86" but sure appears to be wearing ex-LIRR paint and has obviously been renumbered "3304". "RRP" is visible next to the vestibule.

Was this car (and probably the other LIRR cars) later renumbered to the 8300 series? Does that make this the ex-DL&W 325/RRP 8304 now supposedly in Austin?

Attachments:
Baltimore & Ohio 3304, Hagerstown, MD, 3-15-86; by Chas. T. Mahan (fr. MA&PARRHSoc. coll.), MRHL Coll..jpg
Baltimore & Ohio 3304, Hagerstown, MD, 3-15-86; by Chas. T. Mahan (fr. MA&PARRHSoc. coll.), MRHL Coll..jpg [ 225.67 KiB | Viewed 3578 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:22 pm 

There is a very nice website on LIRR parlor cars by Jack Desay (as I recall) at: http://parlorcarseast.com/

Here is the listing for this particular car: http://parlorcarseast.com/ponquogue.html - which has a photo with the caption: "The former Ponquogue, now owned by RRP and numbered 3304, at Baltimore on September 19, 1980."

Other Data on this car via http://parlorcarseast.com/page1.html:

"LIRR 2054, Named: - Class P80A -Built by Pullman Standard in 1940 as 6 double bedroom buffet lounge car Pennsylvania 8137 MAPLE FALLS. Acquired by LIRR in September 1968. Retired 1976. Sold to Railroad Passenger Cars (RRP) of Baltimore MD in 1980. Believed used in Chessie System Safety Special steam excursions. Observed stored in derelict condition in yard at Hagerstown MD in 1987. Presumed scrapped"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:04 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
According to the Baltimore Chapter NRHS's trip notes, September 19th, 1980 was a one-way ferry move on a Friday from Baltimore to Martinsburg or Hagerstown via the Metropolitan Sub (not the Old Main Line). It makes some sense that a dead-in-tow, non-serviceable passenger car was attached to the rear of that train (or even the front--I've spent too long trying to figure out the location of Don's photos).