It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sharknose Baldwins Available for Auction!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 5:42 pm 

Sharknose Baldwins Available for Auction!!!<p>From a post on Trainorders.com, I have learned that the last two remaining Baldwin Sharknose locomotives, long stored on the E&LS, have been placed on the auction block (please refer to link below). Does the high price of these locomotives (at least $67,000 for the pair) place them out of the range of most preservationists? If the locomotives are not sold, are they in greater danger of being scrapped? <p>uj205@hotmail.com<p><br>http://www.kingsell.com/auctionroot/viewauctions.asp?catID=18<br>

Kingsell Locomotive Auction Page
uj205@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Sharknose Baldwins Available for Auction!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 9:24 pm 

Maybe those Baldwin guys at SMS in NJ will pick them up! They seem to know how to return them to <br>service.<p>If anyone has the chance to get over to SMS to watch the Baldwin switchers run it is well worth it. The crews are friendly and don't make you feel like the foamer that you really are.....<p>If you have never heard a Baldwin prime mover it is an interesting sound...Kinda like a slow ALCO <br>with loose parts.<p>-Alan<br>

AlanL759@aol.com

Post subject: Shark B unit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 5:58 pm 

Several years ago, there was also an ex-PRR Shark B unit carbody at a junkyard in Pennsylvania (can't remember where). It was being used as a building, so possibly could be still there. Anyone have an update?<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Shark B unit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 11:40 pm 

Rember reading about it on AOTT. Think it was around Wilkes-Barre. Wheels were added to one end of the unit and it was used as a portable welder (for one of the strip mining operations?). Unfortunately, I also think it was scrapped a few years back. Pennsy or NYC A-B-A units sure would have looked good together.<p>Mike Shirk<br>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 1999 2:39 am 

I saw the B unit a few years back. I saw it the same weekend as Steamtown's grand opening. It was just south of Scranton, but I followed some else there and do not know exactly where it was/is. <p>-Alan L<br>

AlanL759@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 1999 1:21 pm 

<P>It was located at a dealer of mining equipment,over in Pittston. <p>Based upon the Alco-style single cooling fan located in the radiator area, I think this unit was part of the ABA set rebuilt by Alco in 1959.<p>However, it did have an eight cylinder Baldwin<br>(normally aspirated) engine in place.<p>I was told it was cut some time ago.<br>

744713045@compuserve.com