It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How far have organizations goneto earn money?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 1999 2:06 pm 

I'm curious to know just how far will some organizations go to earn money for their cause?<br> I remember hearing of a group who rented a high school football field,and divided it into little squares with painted lines.Then they sold/raffeled off each square with the winning square receiving half the take.<br> How did they determine the winner,you may be asking yourself?<br> The group had a local farmer bring a cow from his herd,and at the advertised time,the cow was released upon the football field and allowed to,shall we say relieve itself!<br> The exact spot was determined(using calipers no doubt),and the funds raised were split between the organization and the "lucky" winner.<br> The weird thing here is that it worked.The group sold out ALL the marked squares on the football field and had a great fundraising event.<br> I can only imagine just how far are we to go to see ol'97 all fixed up?<br> Has any rail related organization tried or even discussed some kind of simmilar fund raising?<br> <br>

btamper@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: How far have organizations goneto earn money?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 1999 4:27 am 

Texas State RR was very well compensated for the Knievel train jump episode. Great Smoky Mtn for staging the wreck from FUGITIVE. Neither did much to further the image of safe and comfy trains in the public image. <p>Hell, we have held rock concerts and animal shows in the roundhouse in Savannah, although we are now working on eliminating the most undignified / destructive of the public events of that sort. Previous management had formed those alliances and then priced them so low as to make them unprofitable anyhow. Hard to reconcile Ted Nugent and dog crap piles with historic preservation. <p>Another point to consider: Is it worth sponsoring events which , if not in themselves big moneymakers, do not primarily appeal to those with large disposable incomes in the first place? I'd much rather make a favorable impression on the top 100 local business leaders than crowds of starving art students. <p>Got the symphony coming in next month. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net