It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: official state museums
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 9:02 am 

Which states have "state sponsored" RR museums. I can only think Ca, Nv, Nc, and Pa.<br>

brownie.23@gateway.net

Post subject: Colorado & New Mexico, WV, TX
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 9:40 am 

the CATS is owned and operated (via lease) by both states. West Virginia has the home of the Shay's. Texas has the Texas State Railroad - just came back from riding behind a double hearder steam train! More?<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org

Post subject: Re: Colorado & New Mexico, WV, TX
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 8:24 pm 

Aren't those more tourist lines / economic development engines than museums?<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: Colorado & New Mexico, WV, TX
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 1:23 am 

An argument might be made that Cass, WV is a logging railroad museum, but not in a strict sense. Cumbres & Toltec is a historic property, but is not run like the CSRM runs the Railtown Park and therefore is not really an operating museum either. The Texas State Railroad is a "tourist railroad" in every sense and has nothing that would qualify it as a museum, save for the fact that historic locomotives are used and stored there. As I mentioned in a previous post, the methods used here are really not appropriate for an operation funded by the public. It should at the very least be reviewed by the state preservation office. I've noticed that "steam guys" can overlook quite a lot as long as steam is up and often use words like museum and historic when they feel it is to their advantage!<br>

jkissinger@hotmail.com

Post subject: TSRR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 1:58 am 

I don't think that the Texas State Railroad purports to be a state museum. They are a passenger railroad that uses steam engine. I am not aware of them misusing the word museum or historic either.<br><br>

tnold@bigfoot.com

Post subject: Re: Tourist / museum
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 7:19 am 

Blessed are the tourists, for they shall cover the costs of operation. Lo though I walk through the shadow of budget deficits, their wood sided minivans full of 2.7 fare paying children shall comfort me. Special events shall provide funding for ongoing restoration and interpretation and we shall dwell in the houses of both entertainment and history forever. Amen.<p>Dave <br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: Tourist / museum
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 7:54 am 

Hey Dave, what's the reference for that scripture?<br> <br>The Texas State RR is a tourist railroad, not a museum, as evidenced in part by the many non-authentic paint schemes its locomotives have worn over the years. (No, I'm not being critical, just stating a fact) My favorite example had to be the bright (Southern?) green that their ex-ATSF Pacific wore shortly after it was restored. The Heber Valley railroad in Utah near my home is similar, and while their UP 2-8-0 #618 wears authentic UP colors, most of their rolling stock is painted in original HVRR red and gray.<br>

dave833@ix.netcom.com

Post subject: Psalm of Dave L 1:1 n/m
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 1999 3:59 am 

I couldn't find that Psalm in my King James Bible, however....

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

Post subject: Re: Psalm of Dave L 1:1 n/m
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 1999 9:19 am 

I thought it was a country and western lyric...try singing it through your nose.<p>Dave <br>

lathro19@idt.,net