It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eades Railway Bridge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 1999 9:18 am 

Where can I find the historic details on the Eades Railroad Bridge at St Louis, giving me the construction date, who built it, and for what railroad originally? It is now used by Metrolink.<br>

frankr@ieee.org

Post subject: Re: Eades Railway Bridge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 1999 12:40 pm 

The bridge was built by the St. Louis and Illinois Bridge Company, a group of private investors formed in 1864. The bridge was intended for railroad use, and some of the investors owned railroad stock, but no railroad partcipated directly in the planning or building of the bridge.<p>The designer was James Eads, whose design was so radical for the times many established engineers said the structure wouldn't hold its own weight. Construction started in October of 1869 and concluded in July of 1874.<p>Although the bridge was immensely successful as a work of engineering, it was a financial flop, at least for the orignal investors. The projected rail traffic across the bridge didn't materialize and the consortium went bankrupt in 1875, less than a year after the opening.<p>The best article I have ever read on the subject, and where I got this information, is in the Spring 1996 issue of Invention & Technology. I&T is the best technical history publication there is and it frequently has articles on railroading.<br>

hkading@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Eades Railway Bridge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 1999 2:07 pm 

Thanks, Hume, very much for the reference!<br>

frankr@ieee.org