It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1401; the atypical locomotive
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 12:57 pm 

There has been recent mention in these pages of Southern 4-6-2 #1401 which is preserved at the Smithsonian in Washington. First of all, let me state that I am EXTREMELY happy that the engine was preserved there. If it had not been, I am sure that all of the Ps-4's would have ended up scrapped. And although it is true that #1401 makes a beautiful exhibit, the one thing that does concern me is that this (very) green Pacific is hardly typical of what ran on North American rails in the steam era. And since the Smithonian is, at least unofficially, our National Museum, I have often wondered if<br>it tells the general, and unknowing, public the wrong story. Now I realize that space there is at a premium, but I wonder if the Smithsonian shouldn't ALSO have a regular, down-and-dirty steam locomotive example to tell this unknowing public what steam really looked like in regular service. I would suggest a plain black painted 2-8-0 Consolidation, but other types would also do. Show the public that THIS is what 99.9% of steam locomotives from the steam era really looked like and that 1401, although beautiful, was not your typical steam era engine. Any thoughts; pro or con?<p><br>

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: 1401; the atypical locomotive
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 1999 3:57 am 

Pro, Pro, Pro, Pro.<p>There are many a park engine that are begging for this role.<p>Patch<br>

MrPatchTown@aol.com