It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not so scrapped steam locomotives
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 2:08 am 

At the back of J. David Conrad's "Directory of North American Steam Locomotives", there is a list titled "Recently Scrapped Steam Locomotives". It is a list of steam locomotives that were scrapped in the last few years leading up to the Directories publication in 1988.<p>I believe there are at least three steam locomotives on the list that still exist in one form or another. I believe Dave's "semiswitcher" mentioned in a previous posting is one. WP&Y #72 was not scrapped following a roundhouse fire, but at least the frame and running gear when to what is now Dollywood to be used as a parts source for #70. And a Great Western Sugar engine reported scrapped in Ft. Collins appears to be alive and well in private hands in Colorado; a picture of it will appear in the May update to "Surviving World Steam Locomotives".<p>Are there any other steam locomotives on his scrapped list that still exist in one form or another?<br>

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

Post subject: Re: an update on Great Western Sugar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 8:48 am 

Bob Yarger corresponded with me off-line regarding the surviving Great Western Sugar plant, and I now agree that the Ft. Collins engine was scrapped along with the derelict Great Western Sugar plant in Ft. Collins in 1969. The engine in private hands is Davenport 2089, formerly stored at Great Western Sugar in Ft. Morgan. The third engine now found in Ft. Morgan is the engine that used to be stored in Loveland, CO.<p>The Great Western Sugar engine at Bayard, NE has been sold and is gone; and the engine at Sterling, CO may be sold and moved very soon. Any more information on these would be appreciated.

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

Post subject: Re: an update on Great Western Sugar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 1999 3:24 pm 

The Fort Morgan locomotive and an X Gee Whiz caboose are on a display track in a friend of mine's, Ken Kafka, back yard in Pierce, Colorado. The Great Western dinkeys (0-4-0 switchers) were the property of the surgar company and not the railroad. The dinkeys were used to unload cars at the wet hoppers feeding the mills. With all that water around, diesel electric units did not fair well. I can remember riding the one around the Loveland yards switching beets and even driving it a time or two. I can remember also almost running it off of the end of the track after latching onto 20 loaded beet cars. These locomotives had no brakes to speak of and you had to use reverse to stop them.<p>Roger Mitchell<br>Master Mechanic <br>Fort Collins Municipal Railway<br>

n0mcr@netzero.com