It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ex SP&S FA-1's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:22 pm 

Did any of the retired LIRR cab cars (611-616) make it back to home (SP&S) territory ?

Thanks

sck194@optonline.net

Post subject: Re: ex SP&S FA-1's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:09 pm 

There's one as far as I know and it's SP&S 866, now stored at Brooklyn Roundhouse in Portland,OR privately owned, last I heard It may be displayed in Vancouver,WA when finished.

Dan

SP&S 866 Photo, September 2003
NP2626@RRmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:37 pm 

> There's one as far as I know and it's
> SP&S 866, now stored at Brooklyn
> Roundhouse in Portland,OR privately owned,
> last I heard It may be displayed in
> Vancouver,WA when finished.

> Dan
My link didnÂ’t work ...I for one would love to see a picture of it. DidnÂ’t the Portland group also have a former SP&S FB-1 (later a British Columbia Railway robot car) at one time? It would have made a nice set. Incidentally, I think one of those ex-SP&S FAs is on a Quebec tourist line now, still as a cab car.

Post subject: Re: ex SP&S FA-1's *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:28 pm 

As far as I've heard from the guys here, this is the last former LIRR FA-1 that exists. Everybody would be delighted to hear if there is one actually running up in Canada...

f40phr231@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: ex LIRR FA-1's
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:42 pm 

Chris -

The Railroad Museum of New England owns former New Haven FA-1 #0401 which is ex LIRR #618. The ultimate goal for this locomotive is full restoration for operation. The project is moving along slowly but surely...

What is the plan for the SP&S FA? Cosmetic restoration only, or return to operating condition? Does this unit still have its 244 engine in it? Several of the LIRR cab cars had their original engines removed in favor of something else.

- Andy Kromer
Railroad Museum of New England

http://www.rmne.org

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:35 pm 

Most of the LIRR FA locomotives were saved from scrapping. I know of two that were scrapped after fires, and one that was cut down into a cabless power-car, but that still exists. Unfortunately, one of the scrapped engines was an old GN unit that saw service as a either the last FA-1 or as a demonstrator. LIRR had the locomotives "upgraded" by replacing the 244's with Cummings power plants. The surgery involved disfiguring several aspects of the ALCO appearence, but not so much as to make them unrestorable.
Have faith... there is an FA surprise coming in the not too distant future. You'll see.

glueck@maine.edu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:51 am 

> As far as I've heard from the guys here,
> this is the last former LIRR FA-1 that
> exists. Everybody would be delighted to hear
> if there is one actually running up in
> Canada...
Thanks for the picture ... she's gonna look great in yellow and black!
According to the Canadian Trackside Guide, sister cab car 616 (former SP&S FA-1 No. 860A-1) is used by Trains Touristiques de Chaudiere-Appalaches out of Vallee-Jonction, Quebec. She's a long way from her old home! Now, if you guys could retreive her and get back that robot car I mentioned ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:30 am 

The robot car was part of a sale or trade. It probably has something to do with a "surprise". This FA was the last FA1 built. No motor. It could be brought back to life, all it needs is.....

> Now, if you guys could retreive her and get
> back that robot car I mentioned ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:59 am 

All it needs is a "sugar daddy" to write a six figure check. Trust me...I've been there...for fifteen years...and counting. We had a lot more to work with than the unit has that is pictured in the photo-foundations intact, engine/generator set intact...and so on.

> The robot car was part of a sale or trade.
> It probably has something to do with a
> "surprise". This FA was the last
> FA1 built. No motor. It could be brought
> back to life, all it needs is.....

newhaven0401@verizon.net