It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lagging
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 7:02 pm 

sorry for not using my name -<p>what is the latest about removing asbestots lagging? Does each state have rules, or, is it a federal thing?<p>Thanks <br>

Post subject: Re: lagging
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 9:15 pm 

The removal of asbestos is mandated by rules that each state lays down. The removal has to be done by certified abaitment contractors. They have to be certified in the state which the job will take place.I am dealing with this right now on NKP 759. Because the engine is at Steamtown, there are very stringent rules governing the removal of asbestos.First, a scope of work was developed by the safety administrator. That scope of work is then given to a liscenced company to perform a survey according to the scope of work. The survey includes many things. It has to establish a place to do the removal, samples have to be taken of the material to be removed, and finally, a total cost estimate is established for the whole project. The survey is costing VLR $ 1600. The removal is estimated to cost around $ 24K. Obviously, rules will be less stringent elsewhere. The removal should be done by professionals though. This way, you reduce your liability to the public.

VLR Homepage
Rotarykiln@aol.com

Post subject: Re: lagging 759
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 9:35 pm 

i though most of the lagging was off 759. if i remember correctly we had started to remove the backhead sheets in vermont before the whole move started. it would seem that 24K is very expensive just for this area, esecially since you need to do all the prep work before the actual removal. asbestos contractors have been know to butcher up anthing that is not all ready loose.<p>Al P.<br>

alp@cheshire.net

Post subject: Re: lagging 759
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 1999 2:51 am 

Al is right about 759's backhead. What we have to identify are the steam pipe wrap, and, other areas like below the cab. I know the lagging is magnesia. Magnesia is only 15% asbestos, BUT, still asbestos. I already talked to Ross Rowland and confirmed it still is there.The samples will be taken, around 10 samples. The procedure has been set forth by Steamtown. This is how they want it done.<br>

Rotarykiln@aol.com

Post subject: Re: lagging not for laughing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 1999 6:09 am 

There was at least one incident a few years ago of asbestos removal under dark in the east. <p>Its the disposal that is truly worrisome... Asbestos is a product of naturally occurring fibrous minerals and is almost indestructible.<p>Its also not a laughing matter.. I know of three men, who were exposed for short periods of time, in one case just a few months.. who died of lung cancer.. others get a nasty cancer called mesothelioma (spelling?) .. one individual was my uncle went from an apparently healthy man of about 175 to less than 120 in 14 months.. this is serious stuff, not to be taken lightly.. oncologists say one fiber can kill... <br>