It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SP&S 539
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 1999 5:01 am 

I was in Battle Ground, WA yesterday afternoon to look over the SP&S 539 Mike. A plaque in front of the engine said a structure and restoration efforts were to begin in August 1998. Obviously, nothing has happened. The jacket is gone along with headlight and some appliances. Is this yet another project abandoned because of lack of interest and/or money? Maybe we should leave park engines alone unless we have a business plan and can follow through with it. Just a thought.<br>

Post subject: Park locomotive restoration efforts
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 1999 6:38 am 

Often, intact park locomotives are deceptive in the amount of effort required to return the engine to current operational standards. Instead of simply leaving the locomotives alone to rot in place, local efforts should cosmetically restore the engine and, ideally, build a simple shelter for element protection. In this manner, the local group ensures preservation of the loco and builds credibility within the community to determine if the support exists, via a solid business plan, for a full restoration effort.<p>As a volunteer of a 18 plus year effort to restore a steam locomotive in a parking lot, I can empathize with your statement. Yes, a valid business plan is recommended. Prolonged restorations are difficult with any organization through loss of credibility with the community and maintaining the original focus, ie restoring ole 97 to steam. Before any restoration proposal is made, I would hope any future initiators would talk with other groups, successful or not, who have undertaken a similar effort.<p>Until we fully understand the individual obstacles faced with a particular restoration, we should refrain from any critical statements based upon an outward appearance. A steam locomotive restoration require a tremendous amount of resources. As for steam locomotive operationÂ… that's a whole larger mountain to overcome!<br><br>

Post subject: Re: Park locomotive restoration efforts
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 1999 4:10 pm 

I think the best thing that can happen to these park locomotives is for them to go to museums that at least have the know how to not let them deteriorate. Many of these park engines are ignored or see only sparing attempts at painting and rust removal. Otherwise, the best thing is for a cover to built over them. Often times attempted restorations fail with the result being the engine is in even worse condition. <br>Just my 2 cents,<br>Eric<br>

lauterbach@peachnet.campuscwix.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 1999 10:48 pm 

As it is now the new millenium,most park locos have been out in the weather for 40 to 50 years. That they all haven't gone back to nature is fortunate. Most are in seriously deteriorated condition - a coat of paint won't do! I was involved in the restoration of Canadian Pacific 4-4-0 #374 in Vancouver B.C. This effort took 18 years to restore the engine and assure it a safe home for perpetuity. This was all preceeded by over 10 years of letter writing and pleading with the City of Vancouver to do something. Expo 86 was a catalyst as was a grant from the Province of B.C. Heritage Trust. Sounds good! Well by the time we got to it there wasn't a lot left,still this was the engine that pulled the first passenger train into Vancouver on May 23rd 1886. Delegates to the 99 ARM Convention in Vancouver viewed what was almost a reconstructed replica with about 45% original parts. The point of all this is that we should get busy and work on the Park engines where they stand or there won't be anything left to save in the next 10 years or so. We can't steam up every engine but we can preserve what is no doubt the most fascinating machine ever invented by man.<br>

grantf@apexmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 12:43 pm 

Often, as identified in your example, a large challenge facing these efforts is working through the beauracracy of the responsible public entities.<br>