It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Modern steam roster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 1999 1:53 pm 

On another website recently a question was brought up about which major railroad had the least modern roster in the steam era. I would like to ask the question, what major rail line had the most modern roster during the steam era. My nomination is the Chesapeake & Ohio. Of the four major types of "modern" locomotives (4-6-4, 2-8-4, 2-10-4 and 4-8-4) the C&O had all four. In addition, some Pacifics were converted to 4-6-4's (with Poppet valves) and one of the from-the-builder class of Hudsons also had Poppet valves. Many 0-8-0's replaced 0-6-0's in the yards. In addition, the railroad had a large fleet of modern articulateds; the 2-6-6-6. And it received the last steam engines from a domestic builder; 2-6-6-2's #1300-1309 which, although of an old design, were purchased for mine run service to replace like locomotives which had become worn out. Please note that the argument here is not how this modern fleet of locomotives was used by the C&O (some would argue for instance that the Allegheny's were incorrectly used) but simply that the fleet itself was the most modern in the steam era. As runner up, I would nominate the Santa Fe which was the only other major railroad to roster 4-6-4's, 2-8-4's, 2-10-4's and Northerns. AT&SF ends up in second place a/c no modern articulateds even though possessing a line out west where they could have excelled (ala UP's Challengers and Big Boys) and a most antiquated switcher fleet.<p>Any comments? <br>

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Modern steam roster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 1999 10:20 pm 

Interesting except that the At&SF power was plenty adequate. Articulateds weren't needed. The AT&SF ran northerns with firebox grates almsot as large as some articulateds and 2-10-4s with tractive effort more than some and close to other articulateds. The fleet of 4-6-4s and 4-8-4s were all 90MPH plus regular service. Without the curves found in the east the AT&SF fleet did just fine with a ridgid wheel base<br>