It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GN class F-8 Consolidation #1246
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 1999 10:34 am 

Does anyone know of the status of GN F-8 class Consolidation #1246, and its whereabouts? She is reportedly in Chiloquin,OR (I've heard disassembled...?),sold to the Great Western<br>RR Museum as of 03/1980, according to the listing in J.David Conrad's Steam Locomotive<br>Directory of N. America-VOL #2.<br>Does anyone have any recent information on<br>her? She was reported to be stored at the <br>Johns-Mansville plant in Chiloquin.Is she still there? I'm currently planning to attend<br>the GNRHS Convention at Seattle,WA this July,<br>and would like to observe her and take photos<br>if possible,if she's outside.<br>

mkbraun@hutchtel.net

Post subject: Re: GN class F-8 Consolidation #1246
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 1999 5:10 pm 

I double checked the "Fred Kepner" link from Wes' page and the photos and location information seems to be gone. However from the last I heard (and the photos on that page) the 1246 is still disassembled in Oregon.<p>However, the 1146 is in Wenatchee WA, and is much closer to Seattle and is not disassembled.

Washington STeam Locomotives and Railroads
brianfr@speakeasy.org

Post subject: Speaking of Mr Kepner
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 1999 8:50 pm 

does anyone know what he is up to? It is bad enough that his "collection" is rusting away but what does he have planned for all of this equipment?<p><br>-Andrew<br>(disapointed with Mr. Kepner's "preservation" efforts) <br>

abrandon@foothill.net

Post subject: Re: Speaking of Mr Kepner
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 1999 4:56 am 

Rumor has it he doesn't "split up" his collection of rust<br>

jkruger504@aol.com

Post subject: Sierra 36 and 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 1999 4:12 am 

I've been hearing about Fred Kepners antics for several years now. <br>Back in 1988 Mr. Kepner "purchased" Sierra 2-8-2 No. 36 and Santa Maria Valley 2-8-2 No. 100 from the widow of Reed Hatch (Reed had just recently passed away). I say that Kepner purchased them, but in reality only a small portion of money was given with the rest promised. As far as I know, the engines are still not paid for. <br>At the time Mr. Hatch was leasing both locomotives to the Wasatch Mountain Railway (Heber Creeper) at Heber City, Utah. The 36 had last been under steam in 1983, and the 100 in 1985 when the Wasatch Mountain Railway was in recivership and was operating as the "Deer Creek Scenic Railroad." When they were sold in 1988, the 36 was in the Heber shop and only a few weeks away from steam-up. The 100 was to follow. Kepner loaded both engines up on trucks and took them to Odgen, where he had arranged with the SP to store them. In the process many parts from the 36 were lost or misplaced. Much of the valve gear, rods, domes, etc...were removed. Much of it ended up stored in a field by Heber City. I don't know if they're still there today. <br>Both engines sat at the SP Odgen diesel shops until last year, when Kepner moved them both to Oregon. The Heber Valley Railroad, successor to the Wasatch Mountain Railway, made an effort when they first started running in 1993 to lease one or both of them. They were given an price that would have purchased several steam locomotives of their own! Last year they quietly tried to acquire the No. 100, but to no avail. I hate to see these engines go to Oregon. The 36 was the first steam locomotive I had the chance to ride - I was 4 at the time and it sparked my interest in steam railroading. The 100 was always my favorite engine (besides UP 2-8-0 618) owned by the Heber Creeper. <p>Jeff Terry<br>

jterry618@msn.com

Post subject: Re: Sierra 36 and 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 1999 6:57 am 

This is one of those sad situations, where you find yourself looking forward to the day when when someone's surviving relatives decide to convert their inheritance to cash. May the next owner be a bit more responsible.

Washington Steam Railroads and Locomotives
brianfr@speakeasy.org

Post subject: hard to convert piles of rust into cash
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 1999 9:34 am 

brian, let's hope for the best, but my fear is they end up like the ex-ACL 2-8-0 down at winnsboro, s.c. where the owner decided he could retire selling the engine, jacked up the price and has slowly over the last 20 years converted a potential display engine into something i fear will be scrapped one day; <p>sure would be nice for 36 to go home to the sierra! <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: hard to convert piles of rust into cash
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 1999 11:40 am 

sure would be nice for 36 to go home to the sierra! <p>Looks like the State is about to get a clear title for the #34 from Reed Hatch's widow, and it is too bad the 36 isn't home. Fred Kepner is a "Duck" and that is mild. He has a collection of locomotives that are of significant historical value. Rayonier/Sierra #38 2-6-6-2, along with the 36, and the hulk of #18. Long Bell Lumber #105 2-6-2, O.P.&E.#1, and all the others. If you include the Santa Maria Valley #100 many of these locomotives operated in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Last I knew the only operable loco he could run was a 36" 0-4-0 on his property in Klamath Falls. Lets hope another Paulsen Spence doesn't occur when he goes to his maker!<br>Nuff said,<br>Jeff Badger<br>