It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: V&T Reno and NCNG No. 5
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 1999 3:05 am 

Re: The recent discussion of V&T No. 11 and NCNG No. 5... I know the Reno was damaged in the Old Tuscon fire, but have been trying to find out for years whether or not Old Tuscon ever carried out their plans to re-power the 4-4-0 with compressed air, with a diesel-driven compressor installed in the firebox and large air tanks in the tender. Did they ever do this? Surely some reader must have visited the place and can tell us.<p>Also, I've heard, variously, that the boiler on NCNG 2-6-0 No. 5 was..<br>(1) replaced with a new one by the movie studio.<br>(2) given a smaller diameter boiler, which was hidden inside the original boiler shell.<br>(3) never changed or modified.<p>Can anyone enlighten us on what really happened with these locomotives?<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: V&T Reno and NCNG No. 5
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 1999 4:49 am 

The only word I've had is when I talked with Harold Dorsey of the B&O Railriad Museum, who served on the engine crew for B&O "William Mason" No. 25 when on location in Sante Fe, New Mexico for filming the Promontory Summit scenes for "Wild Wild West". As I remember he said that "Reno" was inoperable at that time, and that a cab was built for the film. Hope someone else has more info. Would hope she could be fully restored, like her sister "Inyo" (also a big star of films and TV), and not just a patch job to get her operable for film shoots.<br>

JMFouchard@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 1999 12:23 pm 

<br>I believe that in the Old Tucson fire, one or two coaches were also severly burned. Were these scrapped and what was the heritage of them?<br>

Charlesebrown@webtv.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 1999 1:28 pm 

Old Tucson had ex-Virginia and Truckee Baggage Car #1, built by Kimball in 1872 and a 1880s Central Pacific coach. They also had some freight cars of V&T origin, though some of them wound up at the Nevada State Railroad Museum. Would be nice if #11 "Reno" would be donated to NSRR Museum also.<br>

JMFouchard@aol.com