It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loewy designs?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 1999 7:04 am 

I'm trying to compile some infor on Raymond Loewy, specifically images of his works. I know he designed the GG1 as well as a streamlined k4 or 2, and the PRR T-1... anything else? Also, if anyone has any leads on info on his non-RxR endeavors, that would be helpful also. Thanks in advance,<p> -Brian Wowak<br>

wowak@hotmail.com

Post subject: Studebaker Avanti, Golden Hawk, etc.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 1999 11:36 am 

Well, there's two I can think of right away. I believe the EMC F units also, at least some of the paint schemes. I also believe he did a few steam engines<br>S'<br>David D.<br>

djdewey@cncnet.com

Post subject: Re: Studebaker Avanti, Golden Hawk, etc.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 1999 7:21 pm 

Loewy also designed the well known second paint scheme for the Northern Pacific's "North Coast Limited" and designed the Missouri Pacific's first "Eagle," built by ACF. In the automotive area he also designed Studebaker's Starlight, thier first postwar car and most successfull ever. It has so much glass at the rear that the comedians called the "coming and going" car, as the rear could be mistaken for the front. We have a few of these things at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, a 1951 Studebaker "Commander State Starlight" (the last year the body was built), a GG1, a CB&Q sleeper from the North Coast Limited (recently repainted), and a parlor-observation from the 1940 "Eagle." There are several books on his work. Check at your local library and on the web. <br>

rdgoldfede@aol.com

Post subject: Books on Loewy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 1999 2:36 am 

Raymond Loewy published at least two books that I know of. The first was called, I believe, "Locomotive" and was a wonderfully-opinionated artist's critique of streamlined train design as of about 1938. It includes his scathing comments on such rarities as Dutch motor trains and the streamlined Japanese Pacifics of the railways of occupied Manchuria.<p>Around 1975 he published "Industrial Design," a big, showy piece of self-promotion covering most of his life's work. Or rather, his firm's. This includes Coke dispensers, Mr. Zip (remember when ZIP codes were new?), the Shell, Exxon and Mobil logos, Air Force One (paint scheme still in use), International Harvester tractors, offices, his own custom Cadillacs, Fairbanks-Morse switchers, and the interior of Skylab.<p>Automotive publications have numerous articles on Loewy, especially Automobile Quarterly and Special-interest Autos. See these publications' indexes. See especially the book, "Bob Bourke Designs for Studebaker"; Loewy did not personally do all the car designs often attributed to him, although he did do the Avanti, a superb re-bodying of a 1958 chassis with excellent aerodynamics and space itilization that stands up very well in comparison with today's cars. Leaked a lot, though.<p>Aarne H. Frobom<br>Michigan State Trust for Railway Preservation, Inc.<br>

froboma@mdot.state.mi.us

Post subject: Re: Books on Loewy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 1999 6:58 am 

Concerning Aarne Frobom's post on Loewry; he is right on when it comes to the Avanti design. After Studebaker folded, a couple of companies built Avanti's until each one went under. Well guess what? I just recently read in the newspaper (Chicago Tribune I believe) that another company is going to be making the Avanti again! Talk about an enduring design!!<p>Also rather interesting to note that the Wabash which served Studebaker's South Bend (Indiana) plant through their NJI&I shortline subsidiary assigned single sheathed WOODEN box cars to move Studebaker's "modern" design cars! They didn't even assign steel cars to this traffic. We have one of these cars (recently renovated) at our museum and the Studebaker "tie downs" are still in the car.<p>L. Beckman (Hoosier Valley RR Museum/N.Judson, IN)<br>

midlandblb@cs.com