It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ex-Southern Ry. 2-8-0 #385
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 1999 9:53 am 

Some time ago ex-Southern Ry. 2-8-0 #385 (a onetime tourist hauler on the old Morris County Central RR. in NJ) was moved from its display site at the Bergen County Vo-Tech School to Super Steel in Harrison, NJ. Can anyone out there confirm or deny the rumors I've heard that the locomotive is being restored to operating condition at this location. If so, what are plans for the locomotive? Also, does Bergen Tech still own the locomotive.<p>Thanks for any news about this locomotive,<br>Jim Robinson<br>

jrobinson@dataram.com

Post subject: Re: Ex-Southern Ry. 2-8-0 #385
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 1999 10:28 am 

I spoke with Mr. Kovachech (sp??) from Bergen County Vo-school about a year ago and he told me they were working on 385 and had moved it to an undisclosed location. So I would guess the undisclosed location would be Super Steel. <p>I wouldn't expect anything from this locomotive anytime soon as it is being used as a learning tool for the students, so rapid progress is not being sought after.<p>Roger<p><br><br>

Belpaire@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Ex-Southern Ry. 2-8-0 #385
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 1999 10:45 am 

Thanks for the reply! <p>It sounds like Bergen Tech may have just needed a place under cover to work on the locomotive. Slow progress is fine, if the final outcome is someday having the engine operational again. I was just curious if they had any long-term plans for running the locomotive. <p>By the way, I think the person you may be refering to is Bergen's steam engineering class instructor Frank Vosapek.<p>Thanks again,<br>Jim Robinson<br>

jrobinson@dataram.com

Post subject: it's a small world!
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 1999 12:00 pm 

10 years ago when NCTM was in search of a "home road" engine, we looked into this engine but decided its poor condition and several strings attached (the deal would have involved us providing some coaches; today i look back and thank god we didn't persue because we now need those cars plus at least 1 or 2 more!) led us away from 385 and eventually resulted in the 542 coming home; i'd seen a poor photo of 385 labeled spencer in the early/mid 1970s but it meant nothing to me then;<br> when duane galloway and i did the book on spencer shops in 1996, the southern railway historical assn. was kind enough to provide prints from its david driscoll collection, and there, in 1948, is 385, up on blocks on the back shop, getting an overhaul! we used the print, but made no mention of the engine's preservation, or its "almost" homecoming;<br> it is truly a small worth, afterall! <br> <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com