It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More on Caroll Park steam
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 1999 7:23 am 

The "odd" 48" ga. was shosen becuase of the anthracite mining lines that provided early operation equipment, as I understand it. The 0-4-0 and a couple of cars are in Bayville, NJ along Route 9 in sorry shape. If you want to see these trains in happier times, rent the film The Molly Maguires (rent it anyway if you are into anthracite history).<p><br>

Post subject: CP&W 0-4-0 in NJ, 2-foot gauge lines at Rome, NY and
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 1999 9:14 am 

Former CP&W 0-4-0 #117 at Bayville, NJ: back in 1992 the locomotive and cars were moved to a shopping center owned by the equipment's then-new owner. Is the equipment still at the shopping center?<p>Two-foot gauge steam locomotive at Rome, NY: it was a scaled-down replica of a standard gauge 2-6-2 (scaled to run on 24" ga. track) built by a machine shop. A very nice looking "model" locomotive that was almost big enough to be considered "full-size". I had thought the open-air flat cars were "homemade" by the same person who built the engine. I believe this operation started in the mid to late 70's and is no longer running. Anyone know the disposition of this equipment?<p>Private two-foot gauge line at Syosset, NY: as I mentioned earlier I believe this line was the one belonging to late steam machinery buff William Willock (sp?). I have some photos and information on this line--will dig it out tonight and post the info. I do know that he had an 0-4-0 tank engine which he operated.<p>Must be nice to have your own "backyard" railroad! Like the gentleman in Texas with a narrow gauge 2-8-2 and a narrow gauge 2-6-2+2-6-2 Garret, both from South Africia.<p>Regards,<br>Jim Robinson <br>

jrobinson@dataram.com

Post subject: Re: CP&W 0-4-0 in NJ, 2-foot gauge lines at Rome, NY
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 1999 5:46 pm 

Yes, it's wonderful to have a "backyard" railroad, but it's not so wonderful to tamp & level track, change ties, etc. <p>There are about 60 owner-operators of two foot gage RR's that belong to the Two Foot Gage Owner's Association. The newletter has addressed both the NY state lines: Willock's is gone and the equipment dispursed; the other is now undergoing a revival. I'll have to track down the articles for a later post. <br>

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 1999 12:25 am 

<br>I looked into the Erie Canal Village operation, at www.eriecanalvillage.com and asked about their operation, to which they replied:<p>The steam engine and cars used years ago are still here on the property, in storage. The last 2 seasons we have been using a narrow gauge 1/3 scale and 3 cars similiar to what you would find in an amusement park. I do not know if this will be used again this season.<p>...So I assume that they may have been using one of those "replica steam" CP Huntington's for service. The reference I made to the Maine flatcars there were via a post I saw on a web board within the last year, but I suppose that could have been bad information.<p>Does the 2-foot Ga. Owners Assoc. have a web site?<br>-O.A.<br> <br>

oanderso@uiuc.edu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 1999 10:49 pm 

Yep, it's a CP Huntington from my info. <p>The source of the cars is unknown... the photocopied B&W photos are a little muddy and I an't see the trucks, but at least one car has truss rods. <p>Sorry, there's no TFGOA website. Membership is open to owner-OPERATORS, and each member gets the newsletter. <p>You can check out our RR at:<br>http://users.penn.com/~bandw/<p>NJD<br><br>