It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re-boilering
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 1999 4:34 pm 

y'all:<br> how many engines have had an entirely new boiler placed on the frame in the last 10-20 years? i know cass is starting down this path with the new boiler for their heisler no. 6; i know whitewater valley is putting a new boiler on their 2-6-2; anybody else done similar? anybody retire an engine rather than reboiler it because it was a signficant piece of the history of the locomotive? <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: re-boilering
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 1999 5:36 pm 

I hear that a Little River Locomotive is fabricating new boilers for the locomotives that will be used on the "reborn" portion of the ET&WNC. Thinking of reboilering one of the engines at Spencer, Jim?<p>Andrew

Southeastern Railway Museum
sa750@boone.net

Post subject: reboilering at spencer? nah!
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 1999 7:14 pm 

andrew:<br> nope, we haven't consumed any of the boilers at spencer; 604 got just about all of a new firrebox in 1992 and just got a tube extension; 1925 got new sides, corners and a partial crown (sheet) in 1997 so it should be out and about for the full 15 years under the new FRA laws; i'm just curious to see how things are going elsewhere and how folks are handling the eventual deterioration of the most essential piece of an operating steam loco and a huge piece of the history of the engines; it appears we can all safely get about 100 years out of these things, but at some point, depending on care and useage, a lot of what we enjoy today might find itself with a new barrel eventually; <br> here's to having good meat to work with! <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com