It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BNSF - Future Preservation Candidate?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 1999 8:28 am 

Who will be first to preserve the "historic" BNSF heritage livery for future generations? Or restatedÂ… Does the green and orange warbonnet paint scheme actually warrant preservation? Futhermore, how we will present this current age of on-going corporate mergers to our future museum visitors OR are we on a path to become static shrines to the beloved pre-merger era of steam locomotive and first generation diesels? <p>Until recently, most corporate records required hundreds of files cabinets. Today's corporate records are physically smaller but are kept in differing mainframes, pc's, misc.data bases etc. At some future point, we may be duplicating the electronic effort to retain this information. How can we preserve these current corporate records for future generations without becoming historic rail AND computer device museums? <br>The rail preservation movement should follow the corporate-for-profit world and discuss broad strategic alliances and if warranted, mergers between organizations (though some may be in favor of outright hostile takeovers!) L&RP magazine (RIP) once discussed the need for a national railroad preservation database. Have we made any progress toward meeting that requirement? Perhaps, this is a first step toward meeting many of the 21st century challenges that will be facing our rail preservation industry. <p>Through shared discussion, we can work toward solutions.<br>Ken<br><br>

Post subject: Re: BNSF - Future Preservation Candidate?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 1999 7:24 pm 

At the risk of starting a major flame war, there are two BN engines out there I would love to see preserved.<p>One is is BN #6325, their first (of many) SD40-2s (can't recall her BNSF number, think it is BNSF 6397, what an irony!!!!). 6325 was orginally bicentennial #1976, was so renumbered as such and then involved in an accident and ended up being renumbered #1876.<p>The second is BN #6397 (now renumbered BNSF 6325). She stood in for BN 6325/1976, assuming the role as BN 1976.<p>I've encounted both of these motors over the years and have been fortunate enough to be able to shoot quite a few shots of them.<p>Is there a screaming preservation reason for them? I don't know. The other of the BN bicentennial trio (U30C #1776/5325)<br>has been scrapped as far as I know. I could probably make a case for their shells to be stuffed and mounted in an appropriate location....after all, how many steam engines were cut down in their prime to be stuffed and<br>mounted?<p>Happy holidays and best regards...<p>Burlington John <br>

CBQJohn@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 1999 5:20 am 

John,<p>I agree with you about the SD40-2's, the finest diesel locomotvies of the third generation. I hope however that they can be preserved intact, not with the prime movers, generators and traction motors stripped out.<p>After all, when they stuffed and mounted steam engines, they left the engines intact with the unfortunate exception of some cut piston rods here and there.<p>All the best,<p>Kevin<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 1999 7:16 am 

ken raises a good point and also the dilemma we all face: how much to preserve and at what cost; <br>to illustrate, back in the early 1990s, here in NC we put together a short list of items to "keep watch on" that would be good to add to the collection at spencer; among the items was a GP30 and an SD45 of southern railway heritage; at one point, our foundation president asked NS if they could set aside one of each for the museum; he likened it, correctly, i believe, to what would have been in preservation if southern had practiced it in the late 1940s and early 1950s: the railroad would have set aside its two bread and butter steam freight engines of the era, a 4800-series mike and a 5000-series 2-10-2; the reply about 1990 was that a GP30 could be made available as there was little demand for it on the used market but an SD45 was in great demand from rebuilders as the beginnings of the modern six-axle rule had begun and even an old 20-cylinder gas guzzler like the 3100s could be usefully rebuilt; the long and th short of it was that GP30 2601 came to live at spencer and the oly SD45 there is in photos; and that's not necessarily bad; we cannot save it all because if we do we end up wasting it away slowly and showing ourselves to be poor stewards; i like what was posted above about an SD40-2; find preservation candidates that will do double duty; when ACL E3 501 showed up here last june, it not only brought us one of the world's oldest passenger diesels, but it also brought us our only ACL diesel-very fitting for a NC museum, since ACL's headquarters were here long ago in a galaxy far, far away! <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com