It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Junkyard in St. Louis get more scrap metal!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 1999 4:20 am 

I just read that the big Railroad Junkyard in St. Louis just picked up a UP caboose and how they plan to get right on it restoration. I wonder what one of a kind item is going to rot away a little more while this so called "Museum" dolls up this caboose. It is a real shame that this junkyard is run by such narrow minded people that allow the real treasures to rot away as they have over the years instead of getting into the trading game that has helped better preserve and get rolling stock and locomotives into the hands of places that will take care of it. I nominate the St. Loius Junkyard of Transportation for the Hall of Shame of "Museums".<br>

tgears@dca.net

Post subject: Re: Junkyard in St. Louis get more scrap metal!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 1999 5:16 am 

Before Mr. Gears' posting is removed for its decided lack of either tact or truth, I felt I should respond for the sake of other railfans interested in the collection at the Museum.<p>First of all, this caboose was obtained merely to fill an identified hole in our collection. Is it significant for being a one-of-a-kind piece? No. But museums whose mission is to represent history completely and correctly cannot collect "one and onlys." They should reflect both the rare and the typical, and this caboose is a fine representation of a typical late-generation bay window caboose. The "restoration" currently being undertaken consists merely of freshening the lettering and locking and protecting the caboose. <p>I would like to thank Mr. Gears for his interest in the Museum and encourage him to visit us. Perhaps a tour of the facility and of our recently-completed and presently underway restorations (including a few notable "one-of-a-kinds") would put his mind at ease.<p>Molly Carsten<br>Curator, Museum of Transportation<br><br>

Molly4006@aol.com

Post subject: Okay... Tom is Sorry
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 1999 8:27 am 

I would like to say I am sorry for expressing my opinions in such a sarcastic manner. I will try to restate my opinions in a more positive manner. <p>I get really disturbed when I see a Museum take on more than it can handle. The Museum in St. Louis has some of the most rare equipment in the country. So much of it out rotting away and the hope of enough money to fix it is nothing more than a pipe dream. Many muesums have encountered this and faced up to the fact that some of the collection has to find a better home. This has happend at museums all over the country big and small, but not at St. Loius and I don't understand why. Maybe Molly Carsten can explain why a train rotting away in St. Loius is better than a restored one somewhere else.<br>

tgears@dca.net

Post subject: But it is a good point
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 1999 9:14 am 

Tom does have a good point, not just pertaining to the Museum of Transportation. I cringe every time I go to a museum and see pieces of equipment that are among the few or only example of their class sitting outside in the elements waiting for that "one day we'll be able to get it inside" to come along. I wish every railroad museum in this country could be like the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and have most of their collection inside a climate controled building but I know that will never happen. I have seen people criticize the Illinois Railway Museum because it's hard to photograph the equipment that's inside their barns because the tracks are so close together. At least a large part of their collection is inside out of the elements. <br> It would be nice to see museums that can't maintain what they have trade or loan out part of their collection, but who would it go to? Probably another large museum that has enough trouble mainaining their collection as well. I wish that the railroad world had the benefactors that other transportation museums have had, such as the Petersen Automotive Museum, or that person that just donated millions to the Smithsonian for their new air and space museum at the airport. Maybe one day someone will come along, and we'll have such a museum. Until then we need to help existing museums keep their collections maintained. If you're concerned because a certain museum has a certain engine sitting outside rusting away, get out your checkbook and make a small donation. Too many people have this "one person's $20 check won't make a difference" attitude. If I had $20 from everyone that says that, I'd be the one opening up a million dollar railroad museum.<br>

davelecount@juno.com

Post subject: In defense of the NMOT
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 1999 4:40 am 

Tom,<p>I don't know how long it has been since you have been to NMOT, but I strongly suggest you pay them a visit (I was last there in July).<p>I remember the early days way back in the 70s when the stuff was jammed in there so tight you could hardly get around.<p>Since the parks folks took the museum over, great strides have been made to get equipment under cover and displayed in a more 'sane' manner. CB&Q 9908 sits proudly at the head of several Burlington heavyweight passenger cars. The C&IM steam engine #551 is at the point of several freight cars, as it should be. Several items have been cosmetically restored (the Big Boy looks fantastic) or are in the process. Is every item photographable from a perfect angle? No. But most is under cover... The SLSTA folks have done wonders with SLSF 1522 and I hear they have 'turned a wrench' on many other items in the collection.<p>I was privileged to perform some TLC on Burlington's 'Silver Charger' about 10 years ago, what fun. Granted, they have a huge hodge podge of equipment, but at least they took it in when nobody else would. Today, museums can afford to be a little more selective, but in the scrap happy 50s and 60s, whole classes were cut up with nary a whimper.<p>NMOT's biggest problem IMHO is funds (as it is with probably every other RR museum in the country). I know there is a huge political debate in regards to the Camelback, but since I am not knowledgeable on it, I won't comment. To Tom and others, please don't let this cloud your perspective of the entire museum.<p>I don't know the lady who is the Curator, but would love to meet her to talk about volunteer opportunities on 9908 when I retire from the Navy!<p>Sincere regards,<br>Burlington John<br><br>

CBQJohn@msn.com

Post subject: Question for Burlington John
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 1999 5:30 am 

What types of buildings does NMOT use for indoor display of their trains? Are they just oversized poll barns or are they something more permanent that you would feel comfortable in if you visited during the winter months?<p>Thanks<br>

davelecount@juno.com

Post subject: Re: Question for Burlington John
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 1999 11:37 am 

I'm not John but I know the answer.<p>They are pretty much a carbarn with open sides. they really look like they have gone to some trouble to deep the really importand stuff dry. I noticed they were doin stabilization on the Reading 2-2-2 inspection engine and it needed it. They have some fabulous pieces in the steam collection but a lot of it is in need of restoration, but I'm sure the time will come when it is. <p>And you will be COLD in the winter in that big carbarn!<p>Is that big fuss over the Lackawanna 4-4-0 still going on!?!

steam-locomotive.com
steamloc@steam-locomotive.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 1999 11:40 am 

"important" not "importand" and "doing" not "doin"--I MUST start proofreading! SORRY!<br>Ken<br>

steamloc@steam-locomotive.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 1999 1:45 pm 

Yes the fuss over the DL&W camelback is still going on. And it will continue until the decision is made to return the locomtoive to where it belongs. I have never been to the St.Louis museum, but I do have a bad impression of it from the controversy. I'm personally appauled that the museum would openly thumb its nose at historians and preservationists who want to see the locomotive returned to its home territory, and would then undertake a restoration of the locomotive purely out of spite. Whether or not this is how things actually occurred is immaterial. This is the perception that many people have of the situation, and if you follow politics, perception can kill you or king you. <br><br>

bighookx45@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 1999 2:36 pm 

Rick,<p>Like I said, I don't know the ins and outs on the Camelback issue, but it seems to ignite some pretty impassioned responses on both sides of the fence. I don't pretend to know the all of the issues surrounding the locomotive, but I am not willing to 'throw the baby out with the bath water' because of the furor over the locomotive. Hopefully some day the entire mess can be resolved to the satisfaction of both sides. While this may be blight in the eyes of DL&W fans, please don't allow it to cloud your perception of the rest of the NMOT folks!<p>But then again, I'm not a politician nor do I care to be. I just like trains. At the risk of getting in major trouble with my fellow fans, I personally could care less about 90% of the equipment at NMOT. As my 'handle' implies, I like the Burlington Route (no, not BN, but that is another story) and absolutely go ga ga when I make the turn onto the NMOT property and see the Silver Charger there. I was nearly run out of town on a rail (pun intended) when I suggested one volunteer day that I didn't understand the hoo ya over the 1522 - I said the 9908 would have been a far better project!!!! (grin)<p>Regards,<br>Burlington John<br><br>

CBQJohn@msn.com