It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alco, Lima, Baldwin Remains?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 1999 5:13 am 

Can anybody tell me what kind of remains(buildings, facilities, etc) there are at the location of the former big 3 steam builders Lima, Alco, and Baldwin, respectively?<br>Thanks. Seth<br><br>

upacific@copland.udel.edu

Post subject: Re: Alco, Lima, Baldwin Remains?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 1999 5:14 pm 

I spent five weeks in school this spring close to the Eddystone plant of Baldwin. The main office building looks intact, and a couple of other roughshod buildings remain, one with an indoor/outdoor overhead crane. All appear to be owned by PECO Energy, the local electric utility. There are acres and acres of concrete where buildings used to stand, and I saw no historic references to the site's history at all.<p>I occasionally pass the Alco plant on the train, and it appears that several buildings still stand there, all in some kind of modern usage. Without a map and a thorough visit, it's tough to tell what building might have housed what. Someone at the Mohawk & Hudson Chapter, NRHS should be able to tell you more. They have a website, but I don't have the URL handy.<p>I believe most of the Lima Works was razed last year.<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Alco, Lima, Baldwin Remains?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 1999 9:32 pm 

The Lima Works were definitely demolished, mostly by December of 1997. Only two small buildings were saved, and that's probably temporary. Looks like the site is soon to be redeveloped. The site was owned by the Kovalchicks, and demolished, by the way, who also own the East Broad Top.<p>How much of the Montreal Locomotive Works remains?

Railway Preservation News
hkading@rypn.org