It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CSX: $5 Million Seed Money Towards B&O Bicentennial
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:19 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
https://www.borail.org/about/newsroom/p ... ne-8-2023/

Quote:
CSX Corp. (NASDAQ: CSX) today announced a gift of $5 million to the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD towards the Museum’s $30 million capital campaign in anticipation of the B&O Railroad’s bicentennial anniversary in 2027.

“CSX is proud to support the future of the B&O Railroad Museum and help expand its role in the community,” said Joe Hinrichs, CSX president and chief executive officer. “As the successor to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, CSX has been an integral part of the Maryland economy for generations. We are thrilled to be able to deliver this substantial contribution and serve as a catalyst of growth for this iconic institution and the Baltimore community.”

The donation will be used to build the “CSX Bicentennial Garden,” an amphitheater and multiuse space that can host local organizations and hold community gatherings. This installation will serve as a vibrant event space and provide a fresh, new location to welcome visitors to the Museum. CSX is the first corporate patron to pledge support for the campaign, which will improve the overall campus flow, add state-of-the-art educational space, including an Innovation Hall focused on present-day and future railroad technology, house extensive historical archives, and spark community economic development.

“Today, we celebrate another great partnership between CSX and the State of Maryland as we honor the birthplace of American railroading, the B&O Railroad Museum,” said Governor Wes Moore. “This campus transformation will serve our administration’s goals of connecting institutions with their neighboring communities, expanding workforce training opportunities on campus, creating publicly accessible open space, and remodeling the South Car Works building, our nation’s oldest, continuously operating railroad repair facility as the new entryway to the Museum. Maryland will be ready to celebrate the 200th anniversary in 2027.”

More at the link.

More also here: https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/b ... story.html

Post subject: Re: CSX: $5 Million Seed Money Towards B&O Bicentennial
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:27 pm 

Surely there is someone watching this board who might be able to implement suitable excursion train action to celebrate this -- the effective Bicentennial of organized American railroading -- and have something suitable to keep going over the next several years (e.g. for the bicentennial of effective long-distance railroading ANYWHERE in South Carolina in 2031.

I even have a few suggestions for the power -- admittedly some if it is more on the Chessie side than pure B&O, but oh! what a tempting excuse...

Come to think of it, I'm going to start thinking about a follow-on to the debugged Turbo-Inspirator work done by the T1 Trust to provide workable feedwater heating (etc.) to a certain contender for Most Attractive Locomotive in America. (And while I'm a great supporter of locomotive 490, she's not the one involved there...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:42 pm 

Although $5 million would go a long way towards restoration of a B&O Pacific or Mikado or a CNJ Atlantic or an Allegheny, or , or, or,...

(sigh)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:20 pm 

I say that if CSX is going to do steam excursions for the B&O 200th they could get the PM 1225 since the Pere Marquette is part of CSX the 1225 could use the work. The others could be NKP 765 since CSX has a history with FWRHS but I say they should focus on working with KSHC 2716 and Nashville steam 576 and help them get their steam locomotives ready for it. I'm not saying that CSX should start a steam program like the NS did in 2010-15 or they could do something to that extent. I believe it would be for US's 250th and B&O's 200th anniversaries. If CSX did that I believe it wouldn't last long. of course either one or all of them to do so they have to have PTC installed and a lot of insurance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:08 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Dear Trevethick and Stephenson, are you guys getting ahead of yourselves.

Having perused the press releases and publicity surrounding this, this announcement gets you nowhere near this.

Quote:
The donation will be used to build the “CSX Bicentennial Garden,” an amphitheater and multiuse space that can host local organizations and hold community gatherings. This installation will serve as a vibrant event space and provide a fresh, new location to welcome visitors to the Museum. CSX is the first corporate patron to pledge support for the campaign, which will improve the overall campus flow, add state-of-the-art educational space, including an Innovation Hall focused on present-day and future railroad technology, house extensive historical archives, and spark community economic development.

“Today, we celebrate another great partnership between CSX and the State of Maryland as we honor the birthplace of American railroading, the B&O Railroad Museum,” said Governor Wes Moore. “This campus transformation will serve our administration’s goals of connecting institutions with their neighboring communities, expanding workforce training opportunities on campus, creating publicly accessible open space, and remodeling the South Car Works building, our nation’s oldest, continuously operating railroad repair facility as the new entryway to the Museum.

I see nothing--NOTHING--in there about excursions or restoring locomotives to service. William F. Howes is no longer VP-Casualty Prevention. As far as I can tell, Ross Rowland last talked to CSX in 1985. Or maybe 1997. I would struggle to find you fifteen cars to offer the public for a year's lease in the Northeast now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:22 pm 

With $5 million would could see the William Mason, the tank engine, and one other steam locomotive in operation easy! But why do that when you can build an amphitheater.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:20 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
With $5 million would could see the William Mason, the tank engine, and one other steam locomotive in operation easy! But why do that when you can build an amphitheater.

An amphitheater can get used by lots of people and groups any time it's needed. You don't need a "licensed engineer" and crew. That's conceivably more "public appeal."

Just like their Roundhouse possibly makes more revenue, and maybe gets more visitors, being rented for private events with secure, off-street parking. (I've been to some of them. This is not a wild-a$$ed speculation.)

My only real problem with all of this is that the grant from the State of Maryland, and the whole scope of the project, will once again get misinterpreted by the general public as the B&O Museum being "run by the City/Maryland" and thus a "publicly-funded" museum "sucking at the public teat."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:43 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

An amphitheater can get used by lots of people and groups any time it's needed. You don't need a "licensed engineer" and crew. That's conceivably more "public appeal."

Just like their Roundhouse possibly makes more revenue, and maybe gets more visitors, being rented for private events with secure, off-street parking. (I've been to some of them. This is not a wild-a$$ed speculation.)

My only real problem with all of this is that the grant from the State of Maryland, and the whole scope of the project, will once again get misinterpreted by the general public as the B&O Museum being "run by the City/Maryland" and thus a "publicly-funded" museum "sucking at the public teat."

Awesome. Is the mission of the museum to host private events and provide a facility to host “lots of people and groups” and/or provide “public appeal”?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:58 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Awesome. Is the mission of the museum to host private events and provide a facility to host “lots of people and groups” and/or provide “public appeal”?

"Wake up"! Have you seen the e-mails they send out?? The museum is all about "community" with an agenda that seems more about politics than preservation. It's rarely about the equipment. Perhaps they are looking to host the 2024 Democrat Convention.

https://www.borail.org/

I'll give them credit, however, as there always seems to be something in the back shop undergoing a (multi-year) cosmetic restoration. The EA looks awesome (not necessarily wedged inside as it is), and I believe something now is being slowly restored - I was told years ago it would be the streamlined C&O 4-6-4 No. 490, but it may be in fact be the "George Washington" B&O 4-6-2 5300. Unfortunately, the museum only offers visits to the back shop maybe twice a year - I thought there was actually an upcoming tour this month but it does not seem to be listed on their site.

Found it - Sunday, June 18th.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:14 pm 

The 5300 has been in the back shop for closer to two years now, receiving an in depth cosmetic restoration.

In recent years they’ve been doing a great job taking care of their equipment. They’ve really focused on fixing up some of the “modern” (by comparison) locomotives after all of the roundhouse pieces were fixed up. I’m sure that 490 and 4500 aren’t too far behind.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see the B&O museum run long steam excursions. Imagine 5300, 4500 or 490 hauling trains from Camden station into places like Point of Rocks, or Frederick, Harpers Ferry, or Martinsburg every weekend from May to October and a few in December. That would be awesome. But that’s clearly not the museum’s priority, they’ve focused on preservation of their equipment over operation. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:40 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Ask ANY successful museum of ANY stripe, aside from the Smithsonian and maybe a few others:

You do what you have to do to pay the bills.

A ways uptown, the Baltimore Streetcar Museum regularly hosts weddings, private parties, and meetings. I recall that the Baltimore Chapter NRHS used to pay them about a thousand dollars a year for ten monthly meetings, plus cut them a big donation for hosting an annual multi-Chapter picnic each August. My understanding is that facility rental runs about $100 an hour, normally, depending on features to be provided (seating, tables, streetcar rides are extra, etc.).

As things stand in your mindset, if you have no prior interest in trains or streetcars, you have no use or need whatsoever for the B&O Museum or the BSM. By offering "services" or "facilities" to the public and groups, they suddenly make themselves relevant. And they can bring in people for the car show, the beer-industry tasting event, the art auction, the animal-shelter fundraiser event, the bicycle-club gathering, or whatever that might otherwise never walk through the gates/door. (All actual events at either place, BTW.)

I haven't analyzed the "amphitheater" plans in detail, but I say the more positive public interaction of any kind, the better (as long as it doesn't involve rioters, SWAT teams, paramedics, or the fire department!).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:49 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

I haven't analyzed the "amphitheater" plans in detail, but I say the more positive public interaction of any kind, the better (as long as it doesn't involve rioters, SWAT teams, paramedics, or the fire department!).

Funny enough.. last month when I visited the museum was very busy with the local fire department - the CSX Emergency response train was at the museum as well as the First Responders unit.

I'm certainly fine with the museum renting out existing space for events, but to spend 30 million on an amphitheater is not a wise investment and is not "on mission" in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:53 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
As many of the regulars here can attest, the cost of restoring a steam locomotive - even a small one - is at least an order of magnitude greater than anticipated. Ergo, before we even broach the historic fabric issue,I don't believe that restoring one of the artifacts to service would be a wise investment when compared to an operating replica with a boiler to built to modern codes and decent brakes. A working Tom Thumb or Atlantic replica with some period-appearing coaches would be a appropriate ride at the museum.

In fact, should somebody produce a functional Tom Thumb replica, I will note that my calendar is already marked for August 28th, 2030.

GME
(Whose money is on the horse by default)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:15 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Yes.

That's exactly the mission of a museum.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:22 pm 

Take the money and run, if you are a skilled administrator you should now be able to repurpose money from your installations budget into your restorations budget.