It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Budd RDC Truck Weight
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:38 am 

Greetings.

I've searched the manual but cannot find the weight of a single RDC truck. Can anyone assist? Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Budd RDC Truck Weight
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:53 pm 

i have hauled passenger car truck assemblies but never from an RDC. You haven't received any other answers so here is what I know after weighing a loaded stake truck on a truck scale. Are you asking about a complete assembly with wheels and axles? A four wheel passenger car truck frame set without wheels and axles weighed 5 tons. That included the brake rigging and cylinders for shoe type brakes not disc. Axles with wheels but no bearings and journal boxes or brake discs weighed in around 3,000 to 3200 lbs. for each axle. That information is from 5 different highway trips. Your final exact answer depends on how much of the truck equipment is included.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:13 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
What you've left out of the above is the torque converter transmission box on one axle. Also, RDCs, had lightweight truck construction, with two sets of cast-iron rotor disc brakes on each axle.

This, of course, assumes you're discussing an actual RDC truck, and not one with the engine and transmission removed (the MBTA "Boise Budds", later sold off to MTA, VRE, Grand Canyon Ry., etc.).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:55 pm 

Yeah, I thought about the torque convertor after I sent the reply. The question is still how much equipment on the truck assembly is he asking about? I did two trips with two lightweight car truck frames from Western Maryland Scenic in Cumberland to Cleveland and they weighed about 10,000 pounds each. That was a fun drive up the hill and out of Cumberland with a truck assembly on an underpowered 30 year old Isuzu/GMC 7000 series 26,000 GVW stake truck! Our next-door neighbor has a truck scale in Cleveland so it is very convenient and free to weigh loads on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:18 pm 

Here's a list of all of the Budd drawings in the IRM Pullman Library, 227 pages, I don't know how to search through it ("find" doesn't work), there are drawings for the RDC scattered around, it is possible the weights of trucks are in there somewhere. I have the free version of Acrobat, I think if you have the paid version you might be able to search it: https://www.pullmanlibrary.org/2022-4-15BUDD.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:07 pm 

Some railroad’s equipment diagrams call out the weight of the trucks. Depends where it originated. A lot of Amtrak diagrams have truck weights and I’ve also seen it on some other roads. That might be something to chase.

The Rapido Trains guys restored an RDC if I recall correctly. It’s possible they may know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:29 am 

And to make it a little more complicated, there were fabricated trucks on some RDC's and cast steel trucks on others. For instance the famous jet-powered RDC, I believe NYC 498, had fabricated trucks. Some of the MARC RDC cars had cast trucks and others fabricated ones. I don't remember any of the cars having one fabricated and one cast truck, though.