It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for equipment dispositions from the Knox and Kane RR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:18 pm 

Hello, recently I've been helping with a small research project on the Knox and Kane Railroad. I've been attempting to compile a disposition list of some of their equipment, however there have been several pieces that I've been unable to locate. Below, I will list the pieces of equipment as well as other information relating the them. If wanted, I can provide any other information I've compiled.

Passenger Equipment
-LIRR "Ping Pong" #7069; I've only ever located one possible picture of this car. In an old thread it mentioned that it went to the Arcade and Attica, but I found that the car at A&A is #7002.
-LIRR "Ping Pong" #7031; The information I've found points to the car going to a scrapper, though other cars with the same information from that source have survived.
-D&H #241; This is the wooden car that burned in the engine house fire. In both an old thread and another source it was mentioned that someone bought it at the auction for possible rebuilding. Did this pan out or were the remains cut up?
-NYS&W/NYC/B&A #215 and #217; These cars have been mentioned in the past on RYPN, but I've failed at finding dispositions for them.
-Manhattan Railway #782; I can find pictures of this car from after 2008, but not after that. I can find old posts on this forum that claim it was going to be scrapped. Could anyone please confirm or deny?
-(?) "Kinzua Concessions" #706; I don't know for absolute certain the original railroad for this car. I found information that states it went to the West Virginia Central, though I don't have any concrete proof of that.
-DL&W #3599 and #3607; Three other DL&W EMU's from the K&K went to Heber Valley. I'm unsure about where these two went.
-Railbus; The K&K had a homemade railbus made out of a bus. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that this is gone now.

Freight Equipment
-C&O Flatcar 80524
-(?) Boxcars 1302 and 1305
I do not know any information about these cars. The boxcars might not be important.

There's a high likelihood that I am missing one or more cars from my complete list, though I'm not quite as concerned about them at this time. Perhaps later I will make a reply to this at another time checking it. I would greatly appreciate any information about these cars that can be provided. Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: Looking for equipment dispositions from the Knox and Kan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:35 am 

You should reach out to Alan Maples (Everett RR). He knew the Cornells and kept tabs on such things for a time.

K.R. Bell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:18 pm 

I'd be intrigued to know what happened to the ex-B&A cars. The only car of the type I've located is in Lincoln, NH. Seems it was one of the D&H cars, as it still has it's old D&H number. And even then, it's more like a cafe car at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:01 pm 

As far as I know, the 7031 is privately owned and being restored for use as a coach on the Walkersville Southern.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:36 pm 

B&A #215 scrapped at Marienville. To the best of my knowledge, this was the only B&A car at the Knox & Kane. I believe car "217" is a typo and should be 215.

Kinzua Concessions car did go to West Virginia Central.

Sloan gave me "first pick" of the DL&W cars and I bought the 3590 (not 3599) and 3607 for our Hollidaysburg & Roaring Spring line in 2005. 3590 later sold to the North Shore Railroad; 3607 sold to the Durbin & Greenbrier.

- Alan Maples
Everett Railroad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:47 pm 

Alan Maples wrote:
B&A #215 scrapped at Marienville. To the best of my knowledge, this was the only B&A car at the Knox & Kane. I believe car "217" is a typo and should be 215.

Well that's too bad on the B&A car... That leaves only three cars that I'm aware of to that basic pattern. Two CNW combines built in the late 20s, and the original Osgood Bradley car in New Hampshire.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:53 am 

Corey Page wrote:
-(?) "Kinzua Concessions" #706; I don't know for absolute certain the original railroad for this car. I found information that states it went to the West Virginia Central, though I don't have any concrete proof of that.

Ex-D&H. Recent photos show this car now in use as a power car on the reopened Cass-Durbin line.

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:20 am 

The D&H car remains were, if memory serves, offered for sale later at Warren Car but I believe were scrapped later. Same with the Blue Bird railbus.

Like Alan said, I think there was only one NYC coach at the end. I remember that after a bidding war with a scrapper for one of the lightweight open-cars-built-from-a-caboose, this car sold for less than half the price, $2,000.

The Manhatten Railway car was scrapped. I have the queensposts and truss rods from the car, saved for a future 2' gauge coach. The body ends (wall with door and two windows) were saved by the scrapper and later resold, but I don't know offhand who has them.

Sorry I can't help with the LI coaches. I noted selling prices at the auction, but did not know all the bidders.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:08 pm 

Quote:
As far as I know, the 7031 is privately owned and being restored for use as a coach on the Walkersville Southern.

As a volunteer at the WS (in fact, I just came home a day spent out there) I can say the 7031 is not one of the cars on the WS. The 7091 is there but not the 7031.

Off the top of my head, these are the cars "ping pong" cars on the WS:

7436 (lettered as the Southampton, converted into a diner, no number displayed)

According to the caption on this photo

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4669486

this is the 7099's history, starting with "1987 – Sold to the Knox & Kane RR in Marienville PA. Painted brown & orange. Converted half of the snack bar into a gift shop. 10/11/2008 – Sold At Auction to Unknown Scrapper. Almost immediately resold to Delta Railroad Construction. 4/2009 – Moved to AC&J for storage over NS tracks. Converted to roller bearings for the move. COTS at WC. 3/2017 – Sold to private owner by Delta Railroad Construction 3/19/2017 and 3/20/2017 - Loaded onto truck bound for Walkersville Southern 3/22/2017 – Unloaded at Walkersville Southern."

Later it looked like this:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4970738

David Collison is the private owner and it's still under restoration. David is carefully restoring everything, to include all of the seat parts and windows that will slide up and down. I'm sure it'll look great when he's done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:09 pm 

I believe one of the "Pings" is restored and displayed at the Oyster Bay Rail Road Museum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:40 pm 

Thank you all for the help, especially Alan Maples and nickbnwd. Most of the problems with my list appear to be because someone in the research group copied part of the original list of equipment we were working on from rrpicturearchives, Which can be unfortunately problematic sometimes. I will try to make sure this issue is avoided in the future.

daylight4449- From my research into the one on K&K I believe Whitewater Valley has one of those cars, numbered #1135. Please see here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6760&p=31576&hilit=1135#p31576

As for the LIRR "Ping-Pong" cars, I currently have the following:
-7002 is at the Arcade & Attica Curriers depot
-7031s disposition is unknown to me
-7069s disposition is unknown to me as well
-7099 is at Walkersville Southern
-7102 is at Zanesville & Western
-7109 is on display in Couldersport, PA
-7433 at Oyster Bay Railroad Museum

I'm glad to know that the railroad I thought "Kinzua Concessions" was from is correct, and It's nice to know it is still in use. It's a bit unfortunate to hear the fates of the wooden cars (though It was completely expected for the D&H car), though I'm glad some parts were saved from the Manhattan Railway car for other uses.

I again thank you for the help. I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:35 pm 

Corey Page wrote:
As for the LIRR "Ping-Pong" cars, I currently have the following:
-7002 is at the Arcade & Attica Curriers depot
-7031s disposition is unknown to me
-7069s disposition is unknown to me as well
-7099 is at Walkersville Southern
-7102 is at Zanesville & Western
-7109 is on display in Couldersport, PA
-7433 at Oyster Bay Railroad Museum

Corey -

- 7031 - scrapped at Marienville
- 7069 - never at Knox & Kane. There is a photo online of the 7099 misidentified as 7069.
- 7102 - never at Knox & Kane. This car came to the Zanesville & Western from the defunct Carthage, Knightstown & Shirley Railroad.

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:53 am 

Alan Maples wrote:

Corey -

- 7031 - scrapped at Marienville
- 7069 - never at Knox & Kane. There is a photo online of the 7099 misidentified as 7069.
- 7102 - never at Knox & Kane. This car came to the Zanesville & Western from the defunct Carthage, Knightstown & Shirley Railroad.

- Alan Maples

Thank you Alan, for the corrections and sharing the disposition of #7031. It's a bit disheartening knowing how many things were incorrect on our list, but I guess that's what comes with trying to do research like this on the internet. I was suspicious that #7069 was an incorrect number, but we decided to add it to my post so we could make sure. The incorrect information on #7102 appears to have come from passcarphotos.rypn.org .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:27 pm 

Corey Page wrote:
daylight4449- From my research into the one on K&K I believe Whitewater Valley has one of those cars, numbered #1135. Please see here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6760&p=31576&hilit=1135#p31576

So what I understand, that 1135 is a NYC number. When I check that against the rosters? That car started from the first batch of 50 B&A cars, as car 335. Seems the renumbering just swapped the 3 for 11 on the first part of the B&A number... Given how many of this basic pattern car was made, I've come to something of a thought on why so few are still around compared to other contemporaries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:33 pm 

Did the double decker open car make it to K&K?

Wesley