It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DL&W MU headlight worth?
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:40 am 

A flea market I was at, guy had a Pyle headlight out for sale that wasn't in bad shape, 3241 in the boards. He wasn't sure what it was from.

Took some detective work to figure out but I think it's from a DL&W MU trailer, with the EL number in it. Seems to match the pictures I found.

On top of the tag was stamped 20012500W although I wasn't 100% sure that's a 1 and not a 7 or even a 9, it was kind of soft there. I didn't see anything else stamped in it but I didn't know to look for anything else.

Any way to verify from the serial?

He wanted $1200 for it. Is that retail, or a deal, or high? Given how many of these cars survived past the EL and even into secondhand use I'd guess they're a lot more common than a steam headlight. In fact the car in question still exists, used as a coach on the Berkshire Scenic.

Post subject: Re: DL&W MU headlight worth?
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:06 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
For a spell in the late 1980s and early 1990s when the old DL&W cars were being adapted for reuse, the headlights were coveted more for adaptive reuse on heritage line rolling stock than they were as collectibles, being used for back-up duty on cabooses or coaches at the rear of trains on lines that ran out and back with no runaround.

Of course, by now some of those lines are using sealed-beam twin lights along with "ditch lights" on those same rear cars, along with air horns replacing the back-up caboose whistle......

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:48 pm 

I think $1200 is a bit "rich". Perhaps $800 if you really want it that badly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:24 pm 

Headlights are difficult to ship and the interest is more limited on an MU headlight. If the glass is all intact and in prefect condition, the $800 is reasonable if you really want it. Each time you move a headlight, there is a chance that the glass will get broken and the value will drop. A quick $500 would be more than reasonable. You could also make the seller an offer.