It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CN Coach $1 / CRI&P Coach $1
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:54 pm 

Details posted in Classifieds here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47397

.......................mld

Post subject: Re: CN Coach $1 / CRI&P Coach $1
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:22 pm 

"Iron Horse Railroad Park in Chisago City, Minnesota" had committed to take both of these, I wonder if they have thrown in the towel. I know a different entity had committed to take a wood ex-Soo Line caboose outside of a closed pizza place in MN only for Iron Horse to step in and agree to take it, I wonder what happened to that caboose.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:28 pm 

PMC wrote:
"Iron Horse Railroad Park in Chisago City, Minnesota" had committed to take both of these, I wonder if they have thrown in the towel. I know a different entity had committed to take a wood ex-Soo Line caboose outside of a closed pizza place in MN only for Iron Horse to step in and agree to take it, I wonder what happened to that caboose.

I think you need to get your facts straight PMC I would think twice before you say things you know very little about….. I normally don’t get involved as I watch some of you argue like little children….. before you speak you should put your money where your mouth is and you pay for things. I don’t hide behind acronyms and initials.
Sincerely
Erik Thompson
Ironhorse Railroad Park
Chisago City, MN

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:32 pm 

Ironhorse Railroad wrote:

I think you need to get your facts straight PMC I would think twice before you say things you know very little about….. I normally don’t get involved as I watch some of you argue like little children….. before you speak you should put your money where your mouth is and you pay for things. I don’t hide behind acronyms and initials.
Sincerely
Erik Thompson
Ironhorse Railroad Park
Chisago City, MN

Well, perhaps I do "know very little about" what transpired, especially as your post had zero in the way of explanation about what happened, and I am not someone who has an axe to grind with you or your group specifically, but I do know three things:

1. From the MCRM website: https://www.midcontinent.org/equipment- ... ific-1094/ "Chicago Rock Island & Pacific #1094,
Combination Car, American Car & Foundry Co., January 1906...
After the passing of its last private owner, the car was sold to Mid-Continent by the owner’s estate in 2018. The car was then listed for sale and purchased in 2020 by the Iron Horse Railroad Park in Chisago City, Minnesota."

2. Also from the MCRM website: https://www.midcontinent.org/equipment- ... onal-5375/"Canadian National #5375, Coach, Pullman Co., Lot 4222, Plan 2522, November 1913....
In 2020 was sold once again to the Iron Horse Railroad Park in Chisago, Minnesota."

and

3. From the OP, 05/24/2023: "Canadian National #5375 and Chicago Rock Island & Pacific #1094 cars have had ownership given back to the museum.... We need your help! We will remove a few items from these cars for our working fleet and then the cars will be scrapped....If we cannot find a home for them by the closing of our season we will be making arrangements with a scrapper."

What I don't know is whether the past three years, when the cars' "owner" neglected to retrieve them, could have been used to procure interested parties to take them as well as time to arrange to move them, rather than rushing to find someone by this fall. As to whether your group can be trusted to keep its word and won't leave others to clean up a mess: that isn't for me to determine.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:15 pm 

PMC wrote:

PMC: Looking at the Iron Horse Central's Facebook page, it appears that the Soo Line Caboose was safely moved to their railroad park after all other interested parties backed out. As for the two cars at MCRM, if anything, their existence was on borrowed time during the initial announcement when the cars came up for sale. While this is three years later, I still don't know if any other saviors will come out of the woodwork, but as Ross says, hope springs eternal. MCRM has had these cars on property since 1968 and 1993 respectively, without either receiving much attention (though the RI car was privately owned as a bunk car). That's not to say that MCRM hasn't had their hands full with dozens of other restoration projects, it's just that these cars have languished for years without loving attention.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:12 am 

Hmm....
Just how bad is their condition?
I've not seen any pictures newer than about 20 years ago...

The biggest issue with both looks like they'll need to ship on a flat car or via truck....
Which might be why they didn't get moved....