It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new preservation society 2.0
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:59 pm 

hey I know I had started this awhile back about creating a preservation society call the Northeast Ohio Steam Train Association and I admit I wasn't ready to start something like that and it was hypothetical. I did talked about what locomotives I felt like that would be great candidates for restoration and operations and like you said they are a no go those locomotives were NKP 170, N&W 578. all of you came up good points and I took that heart. If I had made that deal with the MRPS in Cleveland and go for it and start all of this even with limited knowledge of doing something like this then well I don't know. I still have to come up what steam locomotive should it be and then it hit me. I looked outside the US and looked at a country called China. I looked up the currency exchange rate and right now 1USD=6.98yuan so it tells me that our money would go 7x further there in China than in the US then the biggest cost is having it shipped to the US which I believe it's usually the cost of overhaul higher than shipping it or maybe I'm wrong about that? Buying a serviceable steamer have it overhauled in China with modifications like add a bell, PTC, convert it to burn oil, buy countless spare parts etc.

I looked at what steamer should be a QJ, JS, or SY? I checked out the stats and I feel like an SY mike is the best option it's overall wheel base is just over 64ft long with over 38,000lbs of tractive force. it feel likes its the best option to have. Since these locomotives are newer than those built in the US and there's countless spare parts and still being built so I believe should be easier to insure and maintain than American built locomotives again I could be wrong about that. have it to convert to burn oil would cut costs because there wouldn't be a need of a stoker to maintain, cleaning out ash pans and I believe there's netting in the smoke box to capture the cinders so it shouldn't need that anymore, also having it to burn oil eliminate the possibility of a fire hazard.

where to operate it I feel like I could try to create relations with Omnitrax the owner of Cleveland Harbor Belt, Cleveland Commerce, and Newburgh and South Shore Railroads and see if we could do the break-in runs and do holiday trips and possibly a few freight runs every now and then maybe? Also make good relations with CVSR and make a relatively good enough reputation to open up new opportunities to operate with other railroads since it would have PTC installed.

start out small to build a good reputation in order to go bigger. again this is all hypothetical do you think this is a better plan than the last one which was deleted by a third party I believe.

your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: new preservation society 2.0
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:41 pm 

The Sandaoling mines closed early last year and steam was retired as they removed the tracks. They were the last users and hung onto the last remaining mikes for possible touristy stuff - don’t know if they still exist.

Datong hasn’t produce any steam locos since 1988. So, who knows if any Chinese locos or parts are still available. Not much large steam, if any, sitting around in China anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:52 pm 

Tangshan assembled the last SY from spares in stock 23 years ago. The engines left at Sandaoling are VERY VERY RATTY.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:36 pm 

There are presently two locomotives being restored in Cleveland competing for interest and volunteers. I am sure the MRPS would be happy to have a new volunteer. What would be different about this group that the MRPS or other groups are not already doing?

If you do not currently have a background in steam the best action is to start getting your hands dirty, either literally or figuratively.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:31 pm 

Come on down to the roundhouse on W.3rd St. We at ASR are there every Saturday laboring away on Reading 2100. We'd love to have your help. There is still plenty of work to be done! We'd love to hear more about your ideas in person and get to meet you!

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner
ASR President and 2100 Project Manager

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:13 pm 

Rob Gardner wrote:
Come on down to the roundhouse on W.3rd St. We at ASR are there every Saturday laboring away on Reading 2100. We'd love to have your help. There is still plenty of work to be done! We'd love to hear more about your ideas in person and get to meet you!

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner
ASR President and 2100 Project Manager

Mr Steamfan, It doesn't get any better than this !!! Rob Gardner is a very knowledgeable and very nice fella, with an ongoing, successful, big steam project. My advice is to accept his invitation and follow his direction, --- Take Care & WORK SAFE.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:09 am 

I just need to know what Rob Gardner needs me to do

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:32 am 

steamfan765 wrote:
I just need to know what Rob Gardner needs me to do

I suggest you go to the roundhouse and meet the folks there. It would be traditional to have a mini "interview" during which both sides learn what's available and what you are interested in.

Often times, folks wind up doing interesting stuff that they had no idea existed before the face to face.

Brian