It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What locomotives were used on FDR's Funeral Train?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:58 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
Warm Springs to DC

1262 & 1337
1409 & 1394
1401 & 1385
1400 & 1367

This is from the book which I am just reading now. I've not gotten to the DC to Hyde Park part yet.

Note that B&O 1401, a baggage car converted to communications car in 1942 traveled on POTUS specials, just in case you are searching for 1401.

I've just finished reading Robert Klara's book mentioned earlier, "FDR'S FUNERAL TRAIN" and heartily recommend it. The New York Central 4-6-4 that hauled the train from Mott Haven (taking over from the NYNH&H) to Hyde Park was J1d class number 5283 with engineer C. J. Potter at the throttle. There was a second section due to the many additional folks planning on attending the graveside service, but no mention is made of the Hudson that hauled that second section. One thing I am a bit curious about is whether the 5283 was turned at Hyde Park, since it seems that the track onto the Roosevelt property was just a single track and engineer Potter is reported as taking the train back toward New York. Perhaps there was a turntable or wye, or in the relatively short time of the service, was the train pulled out so that the 5283 could be turned somewhere. Or did the Central back up the whole train, turn it in the relatively short time of the graveside service and the 5283 then pushed the whole train back into the siding?

Les