It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What locomotives were used on FDR's Funeral Train?
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:33 pm 

I know that Southern Ps-4 1401 was preserved by the Smithsonian. But not about any of the other locomotives involved on that train.

Does anyone have records regarding which locomotives used by each railroad to pull the funeral train on different lengths of the trip?

Post subject: Re: What locomotives were used on FDR's Funeral Train?
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:55 pm 

Highly recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/FDRs-Funeral-Train-Betrayed-Presidency/dp/0230108032

Not only does it cover the historical politics of the days immediately before/after FDR's passing, it covers the railroad side of it in pretty good detail.

Once the train got from the south to DC, there was a few day layover while FDR was laying in state.

Afterwards, there were two sections of the funeral train from DC to Sunnyside, both pulled by PRR GG1s.

Similarly from Sunnyside to FDR's estate (and West Point for the non-funeral train section of the funeral train), NYC Hudsons pulled the train.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:03 am 

PRR8063 wrote:

Not only does it cover the historical politics of the days immediately before/after FDR's passing, it covers the railroad side of it in pretty good detail.

Once the train got from the south to DC, there was a few day layover while FDR was laying in state.

Afterwards, there were two sections of the funeral train from DC to Sunnyside, both pulled by PRR GG1s.

Similarly from Sunnyside to FDR's estate (and West Point for the non-funeral train section of the funeral train), NYC Hudsons pulled the train.

I strongly agree with this one, if you have an interest in the train, it is a truly worthwhile read, and the person who wrote it, has a good grasp of railroad operations and reports the details.

Best
Ken Miller

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:01 pm 

PRR8063 wrote:

The PRR turned the train over to the New Haven in Penn Station. The author states so in the book and on a podcast with John Batchelor which I listened to years ago.

I cannot find the source now, but apparently a New Haven EP-4 hauled the train to New Rochelle where a second EP-4 coupled to the south end of the special and took it down the line towards GCT to Mott Haven in the Bronx. There a Hudson which had run light from Harmon, coupled to the north end and took the special to Hyde Park.

I believe I have read the engine numbers for the GG1 and the Hudson in the past, but the numbers of the New Haven electrics are lost to history. I believe that four different doubleheaded pairs of Southern Ps-4 Pacifics were used between Warm Springs, GA and Washington DC

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:36 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
yankingeorgia wrote:
The PRR turned the train over to the New Haven in Penn Station. The author states so in the book and on a podcast with John Batchelor which I listened to years ago.

I cannot find the source now, but apparently a New Haven EP-4 hauled the train to New Rochelle where a second EP-4 coupled to the south end of the special and took it down the line towards GCT to Mott Haven in the Bronx. There a Hudson which had run light from Harmon, coupled to the north end and took the special to Hyde Park.

Thank you. I was wondering how that would have worked, since there was no direct connection between the PRR and the NYC in New York in that era. Taking the NH over Hell Gate to New Rochelle and then a reverse move back down to Mott Haven Yard would have been the way to do it.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:47 am 

yankingeorgia wrote:
PRR8063 wrote:
I believe that four different doubleheaded pairs of Southern Ps-4 Pacifics were used between Warm Springs, GA and Washington DC

Two Ps2 (light) Pacifics were used on the Southern "M" line between Warm Springs and Atlanta, due to the light rail and bridge restrictions on the line. RFE Angus C. McLeod ran the lead engine. Crews and power changed in Atlanta, and Ps4s powered the train for the rest of the Southern portion.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:33 pm 

A good read on the subject.
FDR’s Funeral Train

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:05 pm 

I'm specifically interested in the Southern Ps-4s used on the train from Atlanta to Washington DC. It's known that 1401 was one of them, which is why she was preserved but I was wondering what the other Ps-4s used were.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:51 pm 

Not sure on the other numbers, but I think I remember reading somewhere some of them were the early batch ps4s w/o the elesco FWH. No idea on the 1401. I remember hearing or reading a couple others had been potentially marked for donation but obviously that didn't happen. would have been a hell of a thing if NCTM or someone else had ended up with an additional preserved ps4, as you'd probably have seen it run for NS over the years.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:47 pm 

Checks the first review...

Quote:
Too much "train" talk!
Reviewed in the United States on March 10, 2023
Verified Purchase
If you want excruciatingly detailed information about trains and schedules, this is the book for you. I had hoped for more balance among train, widow, spy, and presidency, but was quite disappointed that the book leaned so much to train talk.

:: Clicks "buy now" ::

PRR8063 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:56 pm 

I recall reading about a very detailed book about a funeral train, possibly FDR's. There were some great reviews on it, and the research involved.

From all indications, that would likely be "FDR's Funeral Train: A Betrayed Widow, a Soviet Spy, and a Presidency in the Balance", the book mentioned here. But I thought it was more recent than 2010? Were the review late, or has it really just been that long and I've forgotten? Is there some other book I may be thinking of?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:57 pm 

BWills wrote:
Not sure on the other numbers, but I think I remember reading somewhere some of them were the early batch ps4s w/o the elesco FWH. No idea on the 1401. I remember hearing or reading a couple others had been potentially marked for donation but obviously that didn't happen. would have been a hell of a thing if NCTM or someone else had ended up with an additional preserved ps4, as you'd probably have seen it run for NS over the years.

Indeed. A rail-themed alternate history project I've been writing has that happen to Ps-4 #1398.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:09 am 

Warm Springs to DC

1262 & 1337
1409 & 1394
1401 & 1385
1400 & 1367

This is from the book which I am just reading now. I've not gotten to the DC to Hyde Park part yet.

Note that B&O 1401, a baggage car converted to communications car in 1942 traveled on POTUS specials, just in case you are searching for 1401.

So what would happen if you didn't change engines or does it take longer to "oil around" and shoot the rods than does an engine change?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:15 am 

RE: changing engines-- a "fresh engine" has had its tender filled (coal and water), sand dome filled, running gear inspected and lubed, ashpan emptied; in other words, fresh and ready to go. It's much faster to change engines at the station stop, than to fully service the same engine. "Protection power" was similarly all serviced and ready to go.

The SR power was basically USRA/1920-era power that could run one or two divisions before needing a full servicing.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:50 am 

Quote:
"Similarly from Sunnyside to FDR's estate (and West Point for the non-funeral train section of the funeral train), NYC Hudsons pulled the train."

Are you sure about this? Hudsons would have to operate south of New Rochelle on the New Haven, and turn on the loop to take the trains back up to New Rochelle, where a second set of engines would be needed (on the other end) to move to Mott Haven. There the second sets of power would again be facing the wrong way to go north to Hyde Park.

I think it far more likely that New Haven used their own electric motors for this purpose, although it is at least distantly possible they used pairs of Alco DL109s (or whatever number they were) for one of the legs.