It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Today's the day...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:05 pm 

SD70dude wrote:
Canada Southern?

Calgary, Mexico, St Paul & Pacific?

Both of those are better. Unfortunately I believe the Canada Southern name is owned by CN, even though the old NYC-owned railroad of that name is almost completely abandoned. Sad, because it is descriptive and easy to understand. I also think Norfolk Southern owns the Chesapeake Western name, which is better than the amalgamation of letters Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Line chose. I always thought "Burlington Railroad" would be better than BNSF, even though I grew up on the Santa Fe, because at least Burlington, IA is still an important city on the combined system, unlike Santa Fe, NM. When all of these mergers took place there was a fear that the employees of one or the other merged companies would be upset if the other company's name dominated, and it would end up like Penn Central.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:13 pm 

When BNSF happened, we had no difficulty dreaming up derogatory nicknames based on the new company's initials, and I doubt that any other mega merger railroad was any different.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:38 pm 

jayrod wrote:
I kinda like “Can-Kan” but I’m a little odd.

Seriously, I can think of better names that are more descriptive. Like CSX, people will look at the new company name and say “What the hell is that?” CPKC does not flow off the tongue eloquently and sounds a little harsh. I don’t think I’d want to put that one in my portfolio.

Go back into the history of any of the six remaining Class 1 carriers and you will find more defunct carrier names than you will ever want to document - and I suspect with each merger, acquisition or bankruptcy caused shift of the name from railroad to railway or vice versa - everyone would say 'What the hell is that?'

Throw on top of all that the companies in todays world in all forms of undertaking that change their names to hide the failings of their companies former identities.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:52 pm 

SD70dude wrote:
Canada Southern?

Calgary, Mexico, St Paul & Pacific?

SD70dude -

I like that CMStP&P idea honoring the now gone Milwaukee Road!

But how about Canadian, Kansas & Southern?

Honors the heritage of both the Canadian Pacific and the KCS, mentions a point in the U.S.A., restores the ampersand (railroad heritage in itself) and points the way south toward Mexico. As an alternate:

Canadian Pacific & Kansas Southern

Although probably it bit too MUCH of a mouthful.

Actually, anything would be better than those chosen initials!

Les

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:02 pm 

Here's one the NAFTA Pacific. It's only because of the old NAFTA trade deal that the KCS and Mexican railroads were a good enough financial investment for the CP to buy. So naming themselves that since the treaty was replaced a couple years ago anyway makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:19 am 

CupKake?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:54 pm 

Dave wrote:
CupKake?
I love that!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:06 pm 

Considering the increasing ties between Mexico and China, how about Canada Kansas City Mexico & Orient?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:19 pm 

ironeagle2006 wrote:
Here's one the NAFTA Pacific. It's only because of the old NAFTA trade deal that the KCS and Mexican railroads were a good enough financial investment for the CP to buy. So naming themselves that since the treaty was replaced a couple years ago anyway makes perfect sense.

That is close to what Mike Haverty called KCS when he bought a big chunk of the N de M in the nineties, I remember UP laughing that KCS had overbid (UP expected to win them), he who laughs last... "Haverty was soon named Chairman, President and CEO of KCS. He was selected Railway Age’s 2001 Railroader of the Year—among many other accolades—primarily for his role as the architect of what was then referred to as the NAFTA Railway—today’s Kansas City Southern de México." https://www.railwayage.com/freight/clas ... ng-tracks/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:56 pm 

Looks like CN, UP, & Ferromex want in on the feeding frenzy.... https://bit.ly/41wywFM

Sammy King

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:10 pm 

In terms of preservation, there is a potential opportunity to find a new home for the sole surving SD45 demonstrator 4354. This unit is presently displayed at the Museo Del Ferrocarril de Matamoros in Matamoros, Mexico - on the US border near Brownsville, TX. The locomotive is displayed outside, on connected track adjacent to a yard.

Some photos may be found on the museum's Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/MuseoFerrocarrilMat/photos

Here are the latitude and longitude coordinates for those looking for aerial photos:

25.886081792230286, -97.50843643444742

Recent photos elsewhere show the unit has since lost its front number boards while on display and that the Kansas City Southern de Mexico "Southern Belle" paint scheme (which it didn’t wear in revenue service) is fading.

This is the sole surviving SD45 demonstrator, and, if restored that way, it would offer an opportunity to interpret the horsepower race of the late 1960s that pushed the limits of diesel locomotive engineering.

This locomotive was later owned by the Delaware & Hudson, and it operated for the Erie Lackawanna under Dereco in full Erie Lackawanna Paint before receiving a hybrid Delaware & Hudson scheme.

This link has a photo of this paint scheme and some notes about its service in Mexico: https://mexlist.com/photo/dh/1.htm

If a US museum is interested in this locomotive, I suggest reaching out to CPKC to see if a solution that could be developed where a locomotive could be offered that would be displayed off track in an area with greater security. It is likely that this yard will become much busier in coming months and measures to secure the tracks will be to everyone’s mutual benefit.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:57 pm 

It's official. Now the Mexican government has begun nationalizing the railroads all over again: https://reut.rs/3MJTtYQ Investors are getting nervous.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:49 am 

That Grupo Mexico thing is more of a fluke than a 'nationalization' -- as I understand it, the line in question is related to the prospective (for all these many years now!) Isthmus of Tehuantepec railway. That is something the Mexicans have made a priority out of keeping wholly Mexican-owned and designed since at least the 1980s, with the 'fly in the ointment' being that they'd develop it as a mass container bridge just at the time volume from the Pacific Rim is supposed to be dropping off precipitously.

The law involved says that fair compensation has to be paid if the line is seized. But my understanding was that this was more about QoS of operation, not formal ownership, reminiscent of the scheme of Federal Control in 1917.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:42 am 

I hesitate to say too much without going down to Mexico and actually talking to somebody (or several somebodies), but the understanding I have at the moment is that this isn't an outright seizure of private property, but rather an "early termination of concession" to operate it. It looks like it applies to a little over 1% of Ferrosur's milage, but that 1% generates around 20% of their total revenue. Hmmmm....

Sammy King

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:15 am 

Looks like it's really happening: https://railfan.com/cpkc-says-steam-loc ... is-summer/

Sammy King