It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Today's the day...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:03 am 

Effective at midnight, Canadian Pacific, Kansas City Southern, and Kansas City Southern de Mexico, SA de CV are now one big super railroad, and they're hiring. https://www.cpkcr.com/en-us

Sammy King

Post subject: Re: Today's the day...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:25 am 

Funny...'CPKC' was exactly the sound I made as I was sipping my morning coffee after clicking the link to view my former employer's new website.

Sad to see a once iconic Canadian company's identity watered down into a homogeneous mis-match of letters, but c'est la vie, time marches on and it is what it is. I'm sure there's folks who feel similarly about the other roads in the merger.

At least my shares have gone up in value and it will be interesting to see a tuscan and gold Bowen class 4-6-4 steaming to Mexico.

RWC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:43 am 

Of course, there are some of us drooling profusely at the thought of an NdeM Niagara or two steaming all the way to Canada... but for now all we can do is wipe our chins. And that's most likely all that will ever come of that steam fantasy.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:19 pm 

RoyalwithCheese wrote:
Funny...'CPKC' was exactly the sound I made as I was sipping my morning coffee after clicking the link to view my former employer's new website.

Sad to see a once iconic Canadian company's identity watered down into a homogeneous mis-match of letters, but c'est la vie, time marches on and it is what it is. I'm sure there's folks who feel similarly about the other roads in the merger.

At least my shares have gone up in value and it will be interesting to see a tuscan and gold Bowen class 4-6-4 steaming to Mexico.

RWC

You’re gonna have to change your handle to “RoyalwithQueso”.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:35 am 

Anybody else think the new logo has a Soviet-era look to it, especially the red letters?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:43 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Anybody else think the new logo has a Soviet-era look to it, especially the red letters?

Just one letter difference...

But man, they REALLY cheaped out on the logo... remember when companies used to hire graphic designers to design something to represent their company, as opposed to having some intern's kid plug a few letters into Microsoft Word and call it a logo...

Attachments:
File comment: Soyuz
81133487_10157495566880609_8765437594348552192_n.jpg
81133487_10157495566880609_8765437594348552192_n.jpg [ 176.71 KiB | Viewed 4903 times ]
CPKC-Wordmark-PMS200.png
CPKC-Wordmark-PMS200.png [ 8.61 KiB | Viewed 4903 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:10 am 

You missed a sure bet. If KC had 'top billing' in the merger, it would be KCCP.

With stuff from the Soviet Union being over 30 years in preservation (heck, about the same as Conrail) perhaps KCCP qualifies as 'future preservation' by analogy...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:41 am 

I kinda like “Can-Kan” but I’m a little odd.

Seriously, I can think of better names that are more descriptive. Like CSX, people will look at the new company name and say “What the hell is that?” CPKC does not flow off the tongue eloquently and sounds a little harsh. I don’t think I’d want to put that one in my portfolio.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 am 

jayrod wrote:
Seriously, I can think of better names that are more descriptive. Like CSX, people will look at the new company name and say “What the hell is that?”

This reminds me of the name for the Burlington Northern. That one was OK, I guess, but think of how grand Great Northern Pacific would have sounded? And yes, I understand that was a name that was considered.

Against that, we'd have had the reporting marks of GNP!! Wonderful source of confusion, especially if you were talking railfanning in a public place, and people thought you were an economist or something!! Pffftt!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:53 am 

But nothing can top God's Wonderful Railway!

Running for cover...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:40 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
But nothing can top God's Wonderful Railway!

Running for cover...

No need to run for cover from me!!

But I also recall reading somewhere where some others who weren't such staunch fans of the Great Western called it the "Great Way 'Round!" I don't know the reason, but it suggests the road may have had a more circuitous routing on at least one important route than some of the others.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:30 pm 

It also sounds like a droid from the Star Wars movies...
I've often said that perhaps within my lifetime, there'd be 2-3 total railroads in the US (one of which would probably be Uncle Pete). Seems like we're slowly heading to that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:40 pm 

I suppose it is bittersweet irony that within 24 hours of the merger, CP’s Tuscan and grey ‘Heritage’ painted SD70ACU unit #7011 was completely destroyed in a derailment at Rockport, Maine.

It hit a washout, plunged into a chasm and the rest of the train piled on top of it. Aaaaand then what was left of it caught fire....

I’m glad the crew got out of the mess unscathed, but she was a pretty little thing, it good while it lasted.

‘73
RwC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:52 pm 

Canada Southern?

Calgary, Mexico, St Paul & Pacific?

But given the name they did choose, one could combine the two railroads' colours into a new red, yellow and black paint scheme. Only use two initials on each unit (CP or KC, but leave space for the other two) to identify who owned it before the merger and therefore which reporting mark it still carries. Any new units would get all four. Would look especially good on a cowl unit like a F45 or SD40-2F. Older heads might nickname it 'Kodachrome' after the film packaging it will resemble.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:57 pm 

Sounds a lot like the "Kodachrome" paint scheme for the SPSF merger which never happened.

Sammy King