It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about The General
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:53 am 

I was reading the David P. Morgan article about the history and resurrection of The General in the Trains, July 1962, issue. I understand and well appreciate the work that went into that functional restoration, including the hidden gasoline engines to run an air compressor and to provide power for the headlight and the fuel oil pump.

What struck me was the image of the cab. It looks like there were two desktop style brake handles just under the engineer's front window. Desktop brake controls in 1962? I would imagine one is for the independent, and one for the automatic. Does anyone have any information on this? I'm very surprised that a standard 6 or 14 stand wasn't used, unless there just wasn't enough room.

The other thing that struck me was the fuel system, which seems to have used a pump to pressurize the oil. Was this a precursor to the system that Earle Gil used on the Morris County Central engines, 385 and 4039?

Of course, no practical application that I can see for any of this today, but curiosity got the better of me.

Post subject: Re: Questions about The General
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:36 am 

If I recall correctly, the brake setup in the cab of the "General" resembles the 27-LA system installed in 1972 on our small 4-4-0 at Greenfield Village when it was put into operation. I believe this system or a very similar one is also common on the steam locomotives built by Crown Metals.

That said, our valve handles in the cab are mounted to move in the traditional left to right way vs the front to back orientation they mounted them in the "General".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:11 pm 

The New York Air Brake independent valve on Frisco 1630 at IRM is a rotary valve mounted to move in a vertical direction; original to the locomotive as far as I know. So, not as uncommon as you think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:06 am 

The fuel system was based on that used by Vapor Clarkson steam generators used in passenger diesel locomotives. They shop forces were already familiar with its use and maintenance, and parts in 1964 were readily available, as was the diesel fuel.