It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barco M-2 3 Technical Info Sought
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:59 pm 

All,
We are looking for any technical/setup/maintenance info available for a Barco M-2 3 Power reverse used by the C&NW.
The data tag looks like:
Attachment:
Barco Small.jpg
Barco Small.jpg [ 496.37 KiB | Viewed 1851 times ]

Many Thanks...........mld

Post subject: Re: Barco M-2 3 Technical Info Sought
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:33 pm 

With the generous help of RYPN members I found I do have the information already on hand. It is in Volume 2 of Railway Locomotive Maintenance by F.E. Kardes and is in the goldmine of digitized information being shared by Dennis Daugherty.

THANK YOU, DENNIS!!

Truly RYPN at its best...........................mld

edited PS - This will help us with the return to service of the C&NW #1385.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:36 pm 

Congratulations to you, Mr Deets, and to all your crew as well.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am 

Back in about 1972 the shop people at Mid Continent were getting the C&NW #1385 back to running condition after being idle for 10 years. Actually the work was ongoing for a long time, but we put a fire under it in about 1972. The original tender was gone. Patched and plugged so we could test the engine under steam, but it was FUBAR. So a new used tender was acquired that I think was an original C&NW R-1 tender but for an oil fired model? It had been used in steam pile driver service. So we readied the new tender and had to switch all the old piping, steps and sistrin valves and hoses from one tender the the new one. So I had to strip the Barco swivel joints off and install them on the new tender. Never heard of Barco swivel joints as I was maybe 17 at the time. So I got an education from probably Dave Wantz or Rudy Flugal about the use of the Barco swivel joints. For what ever reason I never forgot about them all these years later. Fast forward I became a truck driver running the Chicago area and one day had to make a delivery to Barco Mfg in North Chicago. I remember asking if this was the same company and it was according to who ever I talked with on the dock. I don't recall for sure but thought the plant was more modern looking then I would of expected. Back in the early 1980s many old plants were still in the original old brick factories. Plus it was in a "new industrial" area of North Chicago not far from 22nd st if not mistaken out on Ill 43?

So I googled it and found Barco joints are still made. The company has changed names but appears to still be in the business of industrial supply including steam swivel joints. According to this website.

https://www.mfgnewsweb.com/archives/4/3 ... Seals.aspx

Have no idea if they still handle old schematics or info on their old line of products. Thought it was great that the company and maybe some of their old products are still produced. Am sure the steam powered reverse mentioned above is not. Who knows maybe this could be a source of parts for some restoration? Do not know what brand is used by the industry now? Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:01 am 

Dennis Daughtery sent me about 60 Gigs of scanned Steam Documents which are uploaded on to one of my servers. The files are not indexed. Many wonderful surprises!!

Dennis D's Stuff

Thank Dennis if you find something useful!