It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hazmat and general emergency preparedness
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:52 pm 

PMC wrote:
I also expect a new discussion about whether hot box detectors can effectively replace observers on the rear of a train as was stipulated when cabooses were eliminated. This stretch of line had hbd's every twenty miles or so and still didn't catch the problem in time.
How well could the occupants of a caboose that was the 142nd car see the 23rd car?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:08 pm 

Quote:
This stretch of line had hbd's every twenty miles or so and still didn't catch the problem in time.
They did catch the problem on time. The help desk operator was almost certainly following policy from on high, however that policy should have recognized that a high (increasing?) delta between detectors was just not a good omen.

Subscribing to my grandfather's philosophy that no case is so weak or cause so harebrained that somebody cannot be found to handle it in exchange for a sufficient retainer up front.

Last edited by Meghan on Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:12 pm 

Bad Order wrote:
Would any of you (that frequent this forum) railroads even be allowed to carry any high threat hazard materials, anyway? I think not. If you don't have PTC, you're not allowed to transport any of those things.

1. Please read the rules carefully.
2. If your line is a common carrier and the customer's request is reasonable you do not have a choice.

Subscribing to my grandfather's philosophy that no case is so weak or cause so harebrained that somebody cannot be found to handle it in exchange for a sufficient retainer up front.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:33 pm 

Once again it comes down to bad judgment.
Makes me wonder whether or not the person manning the desk had any hands-on rail experience?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:35 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Bad Order wrote:
All they have to do is shift the focus to the Secretary of Transportation being gay in news reports (Fox already is), and half of the USA will be on their side demanding that the government loosen regulations, because those regulations are forcing them to pay more for diesel for their Duramax that they haul dog food in.. they can't afford to "roll coal" anymore because of these liberal restrictions on everything."

Disregard the politics of the administration, or the alleged selection of a "checkbox to check off" for the selection of our current Secretary of Transportation..................

......... but the fact remains that he is such a lousy Sec'y of Transportation--at least in the public/media's eyes--that the general public knows who he is. And for the wrong reasons.

This is something we cannot say about just about any of his predecessors. I dabble in watching and writing about the national transportation scene, and I had to struggle initially to remember who his predecessor was--or her predecessor, or HIS predecessor....... never mind the general public.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:16 pm 

Meghan wrote:
Bad Order wrote:
Would any of you (that frequent this forum) railroads even be allowed to carry any high threat hazard materials, anyway? I think not. If you don't have PTC, you're not allowed to transport any of those things.

2. If your line is a common carrier and the customer's request is reasonable you do not have a choice.

Actually I have read the rules and studied it extensively, and I interpreted them as requiring PTC on any lines that carry hazmat. What am I missing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:08 am 

softwerkslex wrote:
Meghan wrote:
Bad Order wrote:

Actually I have read the rules and studied it extensively, and I interpreted them as requiring PTC on any lines that carry hazmat. What am I missing?

Over 5 million gross tons per year requires ptc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:22 am 

Yet again I ask why don't they just put a rubber or other low melting material hose with train air over the adapter plate. If the bearing overheats It would in turn heat up the adapter plate which would melt the hose dumping the air.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:39 pm 

RCD wrote:
Yet again I ask why don't they just put a rubber or other low melting material hose with train air over the adapter plate. If the bearing overheats It would in turn heat up the adapter plate which would melt the hose dumping the air.

Sounds like a system that would lead to a lot of undesired emergency brake applications.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:10 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Bad Order wrote:
All they have to do is shift the focus to the Secretary of Transportation being gay in news reports (Fox already is), and half of the USA will be on their side demanding that the government loosen regulations, because those regulations are forcing them to pay more for diesel for their Duramax that they haul dog food in.. they can't afford to "roll coal" anymore because of these liberal restrictions on everything."

Disregard the politics of the administration, or the alleged selection of a "checkbox to check off" for the selection of our current Secretary of Transportation..................

......... but the fact remains that he is such a lousy Sec'y of Transportation--at least in the public/media's eyes--that the general public knows who he is. And for the wrong reasons.

This is something we cannot say about just about any of his predecessors. I dabble in watching and writing about the national transportation scene, and I had to struggle initially to remember who his predecessor was--or her predecessor, or HIS predecessor....... never mind the general public.

"Disregard the politics" and then go an a political rant. I think he's a fantastic Secretary of Transportation and I hope he runs for President and wins.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:17 pm 

The sad truth is that the whole thing has now morphed into a national cluster f*** which will end up costing NS many, many millions of extra dollars.

Maybe, just maybe the big roads might want to think about taking a tiny bit of the multi millions they spend on shareholder dividends and stock buy backs and mount an effort to make friends with the first responders along their railroad whose help they need when a crisis hits???

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:31 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I think he's a fantastic Secretary of Transportation and I hope he runs for President and wins.

Defend this opinion.

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:05 pm 

Mr JC Marksbury has this right. It's a Hell of a lot safer to let the engineer handle the air, rather than big hole the train without warning, with the application initiated in the middle of the consist.

Remember, they passed two defect detector warnings on orders from the "defect detector help desk". By the time the crew was told to stop and inspect their train, it was too late.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:39 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
Remember, they passed two defect detector warnings on orders from the "defect detector help desk". By the time the crew was told to stop and inspect their train, it was too late.

Where is this information coming from? If it's actual fact that's a major point of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:12 pm 

Mr CZ, If I may offer a suggestion, it would be to read the post by Brother Paul Woodring about midway down in the first page of this thread. He has been out there a lot more recently than I have, and I'm comfortable accepting the detailed version of events he presented. I also heard substantially the same thing yesterday from a non railroader friend, who had gotten his information from the McNeil-Lehr report on PBS.

As you say, that's a major point of this story. Another might be to ask when railroads started allowing this monkey business of "Defect Detector Help Desks"? Or perhaps we should be asking when the FRA started allowing it.

Sammy King

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next