It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New South Whales RR luggage rack.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:49 pm 

Does anyone have any idea why they're so many new South Wales luggage racks available? My guess is some company math produced reproductions. My other question is do they have anything to do with Pullman cuz I wasn't to wear the Pullman manufactured any cars that ended up in Australia.

Post subject: Re: New South Whales RR luggage rack.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:26 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This is potentially one of THE most reproduced/faked/pirated railway reproduction items worldwide.

A couple decades ago it could be found in many catalogs for random household items and more upscale "restoration hardware" and interior decorating catalogs, and not just in the United States. My assumption is that some place in China or elsewhere in the Pacific Rim started churning them out by the tens of thousands to market as "shelves with a difference" for household use.

It was inevitable that, just like zillions of inferior-reproduction cast-iron toy trains,"Olde English" old-style brass padlocks with cast keys, "GWR Stationmaster Birmingham" oversized belt buckles, and "Wells Fargo" badges/hardware of any type, these shelves would enter/flood the market a generation or two later, being offered by unwittingly ignorant new owners as "authentic," at usually ten or more times the original catalog prices. There are probably ten times more of these shelves/racks floating around in the market than were ever in real NZR rolling stock. You see enough such reproductions about, and you may swear off collecting ANY railroadiana.

To your other question, Pullman was a brand name, not just a manufacturer. There were Pullmans run in Britain, but not as far as I know in Australia.

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:55 pm 

"Pullmans" were something very different in Blighty -- not only were they their own 'British' company, but it was merged with the British Nagelmackers Wagon-Lit company in the early 1900s (under Dalziel) to form something decidedly different from the Pullman Company over here.

Their 'Pullman" is a class of parlor-style service, not sleepers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:06 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
To your other question, Pullman was a brand name, not just a manufacturer. There were Pullmans run in Britain, but not as far as I know in New Zealand.

New South Wales is Australia and apparently, there were Pullman cars operated in service starting in 1928 on the "Overland". Who operated them, I do not know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Overland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:28 pm 

This is potentially one of THE most reproduced/faked/pirated railway reproduction items worldwide.

Don't forget the Union Pacific spitoons!! There's a gazillion of those things floating around out there.

RwC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:38 pm 

NSW is a state in the Commonwealth of Australia, like California is a state of the USA.

Two other states, Victoria and South Australia operated the Overland. It still runs, but a private company does it now (same one who does the luxurious Ghan and Indian Pacific trains).

NSW imported a few Pullman cars around 1890 and then started making local copies in the same style. Several are preserved.

Those reproduction luggage racks were very common 30 years ago. They have a stylised NSWGR (NSW Government Railways) cast in the support. Have they made a comeback?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:42 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Alan Walker wrote:
To your other question, Pullman was a brand name, not just a manufacturer. There were Pullmans run in Britain, but not as far as I know in New Zealand.

New South Wales is Australia and apparently, there were Pullman cars operated in service starting in 1928 on the "Overland". Who operated them, I do not know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Overland

Apologies,. my eyes were glazing over at the second or third hundred online listings of these blankety-blank things, many misleadingly labeled "New Zealand" or actually being offered IN New Zealand.......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:27 pm 

I saw The New South Whales play back around 1992 at the Whisky a Go Go in Hollywood.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:16 pm 

Close enough for government work -- it's "These New South Whales". (If I recall they had their own TV show for a while)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aek10vTT3eA

Can someone PLEASE correct the title of this thread, though?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:44 pm 

Overmod wrote:
Close enough for government work -- it's "These New South Whales". (If I recall they had their own TV show for a while)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aek10vTT3eA

Can someone PLEASE correct the title of this thread, though?

No, the group I saw was a Regge/Ska/Bluegrass fusion group.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:42 pm 

Alexander's quite right. Most of them are repros and the one's I've seen on Ebay emanating from the US are grossly overpriced, even if they're genuine.
The New South Wales (not whales) Government Railways purchased 8 28-berth sleepers from Pullman in 1891. In the late 90s, they built 4 replicas in Sydney and also some 12 side corridor sitting cars of similar external appearance, to make matching sets with the sleepers.
In 1901, they built 3 shorter 20 berth cars for intrastate usage on overnight trains.
One of these, AL1040, has been under restoration since the end of 2001 at Canberra Railway Museum.
I've made several references to it on RYPN over the years and believe that it's the last wooden-framed, wooden bodied full length sleeping car of the late 1880s Pullman design left in the world.
Funny that a reference was made in this post to spittoons. Not 20 minutes ago, I bought one on Ebay, from America, which was stamped PP Car Company. It looks suitably worn, so I hope someone doesn't burst my bubble and tell me it's a Chinese fake! If it is, they've got ageing down to a fine art!!!!
My intention is to display this in 1040 to make aware this weird practice to younger generations. Should get some interesting comments....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:11 pm 

... They'll just think they were for icing the traveler's wine coolers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:24 pm 

https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/the-clancy-brothers-and-tommy-makem/new-south-wales-86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:16 pm 

As far as the UP spittoons are concerned, I saw one in an antique shop that was so tarnished and cracked that if I had not known that they were made by the thousands I would have thought it was genuine. It looked old! If course the brass in the repo’s is very thin so I knew what it was.