It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Acela's are now being scrapped.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:49 pm 

America's first bullet train has begun getting scrapped, an image of part of a coach being hauled off has been circulating the internet. Unfortunately there still don't seem to be any discussion about preservation only a bunch of old people who only care about saving what they and their papa used to watch and wondering why they are not relevant. I know if this was an RS3 that switched hoppers at such and such grain elevator people clamoring all over the place to save it.

Post subject: Re: Acela's are now being scrapped.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:55 pm 

Nobody here would advocate against not saving one of these, but I imagine Amtrak wanting to scrap them instead of giving them to a museum somewhere.
Just like second generation diesels, I have a feeling that there'll be a huge gap in preserved equipment from this current era in the future.
I suspect museum folks in the distant future will ask what folks like us were thinking at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:55 pm 

Copied and pasted from Train Odors:
"AFAIK, scrapping of the four trainsets stored at Bear, DE since the beginning of the pandemic has not begun. What you saw on the lowboy was one of three carbody shells that were delivered with the project. They were used for interior design mock-ups as changes were made through the years. There was talk on my watch a few years back of making them roadworthy for use as spares but the cost to do so was excessive and the idea was quickly dismissed. With the arrival of next-gen equipment, these shells are no longer needed and the disposal of them that you witnessed has begun. Track Geometry car 10003 which is still part of the active fleet and inserted in a trainset once per month for a round trip WAS-BOS is likely to meet the same fate soon as technology has progressed to the point where it is no longer needed."
Far, far too early to panic about an Acela being saved. But the problem we will have several years down the road is the same with any permanently-coupled set (e.g. I am thinnking of the Santa Fe's revolutionary "ten-pack", which cut the tare weight for piggyback and lowered the wind resistance at the same time): where do you put it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:04 pm 

Interestingly, all retired versions of the Shinkansen have at least one car in preservation. The pride in having something home designed and built that greatly improves peoples' lives shows in the efforts to save these train cars and sets for future generations to appreciate. I can't wait until they get the L0 series going in 2027. I remember being fascinated while reading about Maglev technology in the '70s. Imagine, 310 mph in a train. Of course I had hoped it would be built here in the US.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:05 am 

Give them time. The Acela II's are not yet ready for service

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:11 am 

Any chance of saving track car #10003, as well as #10002 Corridor Clipper? Also would like to see the "Conference Car" saved as well. I've been very sad about what has become of Bill Kratville's car #10000 in recent years, used by Amtrak as a business car for many years early on. I know they're oddball cars, but they are part of Amtrak's story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:21 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Any chance of saving track car #10003, as well as #10002 Corridor Clipper? Also would like to see the "Conference Car" saved as well. I've been very sad about what has become of Bill Kratville's car #10000 in recent years, used by Amtrak as a business car for many years early on. I know they're oddball cars, but they are part of Amtrak's story.

Almost all of these you listed are still in active service, and will likely be for a while.

AMTK 10000 is currently being stored in Whiteland, Indiana and is for sale for 40k.
https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/railEq ... &search=IN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:00 pm 

From my understanding from friends, and this photo, this was actually a test bed Acela set. It was never used in Revenue service. However I am not an Amtrak expert, so if anyone can back this claim up please do so because I don't want to unintentionally spread misinformation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:23 pm 

Not to hijack this thread (which I'm doing of course) but I think I saw Amtrak 10000 at Hunter's Point shipyard years ago with the stainless steel fluting removed and the rotten steel underneath being restored. Does anybody else remember that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:09 pm 

I'm talking about when they do come up for retirement down the road.