It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR Wreck Repair Pictures on Flickr featuring GG1 #4876
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:47 pm 

The Federal Bureau Investigation report mentioned that parts removed for testing were then sent to Wilmington Shop and put into inventory. That could have also happened to some of the salvaged parts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:08 pm 

Unless the bearings are damaged aka had damaged races or rollers or cages they would be reused. The traction motors heck yes they may have required some new parts like brushes bearings but more than likely the cases windings and commutantor were fine. The quill drive was sprung and suspended from the frame. The frame absorbed most of the impact. Remember this about the time frame. This was when everything was made to be reused and rebuilt not thrown away. The shop crews literally had just gone through WW2 were they were literally pulling engines out of the deadline overhauling them and putting them back in mainline service. For the crew that was assigned this some of them could have been ex military that had the job of rebuilding battle damaged equipment. For them 4876 would have been easy compared with the Sherman's or ships they dealt with on a daily basis less than a decade before.

Just remember this about how well our battle damage repair crews were in WW2 the USS Franklin survived battle damage that had sunk more Japanese carriers in terms of fire damage and still steamed home under her own power. We had ships come home missing their entire bow sections. For men like this 4876 was like old home week with the fleet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:06 am 

QJdriver wrote:
I'm struck by the fact that they reused the wheels and axles !! Ever since I can remember, if any AMTRAK equipment went on the ground, we had to change out every wheelset that went off the railhead and touched planet earth, no matter how gently.
The roller bearings are the problem. They have to be internally inspected after removal from the axle. On many Amtrak cars, the bearings are inboard of the wheels, so they have to also be removed. The consequences of unseen damage to a railroad car's roller bearing are often catastrophic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:31 am 

JimBoylan wrote:
The consequences of unseen damage to a railroad car's roller bearing are often catastrophic.

Ask the folks in East Palestine, OH about that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:45 pm 

The GG1 like the P5a before it had steam locomotive like tires on the wheels unlike the later E60 and AEM7 which had solid wheels. As long as the wheel hub wasn't damaged they just put new tires on them like they would in regular service. I can't speak for the axles. With those it wouldn't surprise me if at least one or two of the quill tube parts of the axle were replaced being thinner than the inner axle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:38 am 

I wonder if those tires were interchangeable with steam wheels? If so, did they all go to scrap or were some siphoned off for service elsewhere?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:09 pm 

If i recall correctly the GG1 had 56" wheels. I remember that the PRR H6 also had 56" wheels. So who knows? More likely GG1 tires were made specially for them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:58 pm 

GG1s had 57" nominal driver diameter.

But that's not the important diameter: the driver center diameter is what would govern tire compatibility. And I'd suspect any comparison would have to be made with New Haven power since the quill drive on the GG1 was sourced from the NH EP-3...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:17 pm 

GG1s are pretty far from anything with which I've got experience, but my understanding is that some tires were saved, and can be used for "some" steam engines. In most cases the ID would have to be trimmed to allow a suitable interference fit on the driver center.

Sammy King

Last edited by QJdriver on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:26 pm 

jayrod wrote:
JimBoylan wrote:
The consequences of unseen damage to a railroad car's roller bearing are often catastrophic.

Ask the folks in East Palestine, OH about that.
"Unseen" can be a loaded word in this instance...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:10 am 

Allow me to ask a somewhat foam-ish question here, but if the frame was completely replaced, wouldn't that actually make the unit the only remotely possible GG-1 candidate for some kind of actual movable restoration and not just a stuffed and mounted visual display? Would the "modern" frame still be dealing with the issues from the original batches?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:48 pm 

greenwichlirr wrote:
Allow me to ask a somewhat foam-ish question here, but if the frame was completely replaced, wouldn't that actually make the unit the only remotely possible GG-1 candidate for some kind of actual movable restoration and not just a stuffed and mounted visual display? Would the "modern" frame still be dealing with the issues from the original batches?

One could be kitbashed with the frame of 4876, the carbody and other parts from one of the units in Cooperstown, and the guts from a asc64 or hhp8.
It's doable, but I've a feeling amtrak isn't going to let that on it's tracks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:30 pm 

scratchyX1 wrote:
One could be kitbashed with the frame of 4876, the carbody and other parts from one of the units in Cooperstown, and the guts from a asc64 or hhp8.
It's doable, but I've a feeling amtrak isn't going to let that on it's tracks.

Well.....as they say:

Attachment:
7auh0b.jpg
7auh0b.jpg [ 213.34 KiB | Viewed 1869 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:59 pm 

RRMPA and Amtrak had a difficult time getting 4935 roadworthy for a tow to Washington.

A Frankenstein GG!? Fugeddabout it.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:52 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
EJ Berry wrote:
RRMPA and Amtrak had a difficult time getting 4935 roadworthy for a tow to Washington.

A Frankenstein GG1? Fugeddabout it.

To be fair, I have an associate who worked at that time in upper Amtrak management in Washington DC with the very people that would have made that DC WUT event happen, specifically 4935's appearance.

I was told that, initially, the "clearances" department--the ones entrusted to make sure something fits, is light enough, etc. to run over the Corridor--refused to even CONSIDER even the POSSIBILITY of ANY GG1 running on their tracks.
They were supposedly overruled by first their superiors, and then their superiors' superiors, whom I was told effectively ORDERED them to "MAKE IT SO." Supposedly, that included agreeing to waive them from any responsibility or culpability should something have happened to either 4935 or the track during or after the move.

The associate has retired, but I never did get a promised detailed follow-up from him about what dragging 4935 from Leaman Place to WUT and back entailed...... which I believe would be useful insights for anyone interested in ever moving a GG1 anything more than a few feet (would-be saviors of 4876, 4932. and 4934, for example). The railroads can keep saying "nohow, now way, nevermore...", but it might be helpful to be able to offer counter-arguments based on real life. Heck, for that matter, did the Strasburg RR have any issues or doubts about moving 4935 then?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next