It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Young People and Preservation.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:01 pm 

Bobulltech wrote:
Complaining in general, railroaders sure are a complaining bunch

Yeah, but Railroading life provides a lot to complain about. Tourist railroading, not so much - generally there's a fairly well defined work schedule and sleep at home in your own bed. Never 16 hours and a bus ride unless there are much larger issues at hand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:44 pm 

Thundarr wrote:
co614 wrote:
I'll repeat an often expressed opinion. If you don't think enough of what you post to sign your real name to it then it's really not worthy of further discussion.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Well, that's kind of a childish way to try to end the conversation when you're getting dragged... The discussion of what you say is going to continue regardless of what or who you seem worthy. Here and wherever else it's been screenshot and spread to. Most people on various Facebook groups where it's shared and laughed at by young people in preservation are discussing it with their real names on their profiles. If you feel so strongly about your opinions and reputation, why not go discuss it further with them with a far larger audience?

Internet anonymity came up in a couple past threads. A few reasons were brought up as to why users might want to stay anonymous, and I'll add another here.

One of the more prominent users of this site once threatened to sue it and the moderators, and nearly got RyPN shut down in the process. Suing or doxxing a screen name is a bit more difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:54 pm 

SD70dude wrote:
Thundarr wrote:
co614 wrote:
I'll repeat an often expressed opinion. If you don't think enough of what you post to sign your real name to it then it's really not worthy of further discussion.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Well, that's kind of a childish way to try to end the conversation when you're getting dragged... The discussion of what you say is going to continue regardless of what or who you seem worthy. Here and wherever else it's been screenshot and spread to. Most people on various Facebook groups where it's shared and laughed at by young people in preservation are discussing it with their real names on their profiles. If you feel so strongly about your opinions and reputation, why not go discuss it further with them with a far larger audience?

Internet anonymity came up in a couple past threads. A few reasons were brought up as to why users might want to stay anonymous, and I'll add another here.

One of the more prominent users of this site once threatened to sue it and the moderators, and nearly got RyPN shut down in the process. Suing or doxxing a screen name is a bit more difficult.

And that person sent me threatening PM’s asking for my personal information.

It’s really creepy for people on the internet to ask for personal information - many of us in the LGBT community are especially nervous about this and for good reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:09 pm 

You aren't going to make a railroader with a phony name. Try getting an engineer's license or signing the federal register without using your real name.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:21 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
You aren't going to make a railroader with a phony name.

For several years CN had a supervisor in Toronto who was a wanted American fugitive. I think he actually made a half decent trainmaster.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-s ... -brampton/

CN management class photo:

https://mobile.facebook.com/CNrail/phot ... 23/?type=3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:25 pm 

Better get a good, convincing, phony ID....

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:29 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
You aren't going to make a railroader with a phony name. Try getting an engineer's license or signing the federal register without using your real name.

How is that relevant at all? Of course I’ve given my real name to former railroad employers.

That’s very different than giving full names out on the internet.

It’s frankly, very creepy that “old men” want the full names of younger guys on this very forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:56 pm 

Hey CZ, the first I ever heard of you was when you replied to a perfectly innocent post of mine with an unprovoked insult. I did send you a nasty PM suggesting you be man enough to use your real name, instead of hiding behind the crapper and slinging turds at somebody you don't know. Still waiting on that, but not holding my breath. It wouldn't surprise me if others react to your trolling in similar fashion... Oh, and don't flatter yourself by thinking I give a damn about you or your personal information.

It might interest you (maybe somebody else ??) to know that before you were born, there were some gays working for real railroads. The ones I knew did their jobs, looked us in the eye, and earned enough respect from enough of their co-workers to fit in and keep their jobs. None of us cared about their private lives. We were just happy that they didn't expect special treatment, or tuck their tails between their legs and whine about how unfair life is.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:37 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
Hey CZ, the first I ever heard of you was when you replied to a perfectly innocent post of mine with an unprovoked insult. I did send you a nasty PM suggesting you be man enough to use your real name, instead of hiding behind the crapper and slinging turds at somebody you don't know. Still waiting on that, but not holding my breath. It wouldn't surprise me if others react to your trolling in similar fashion... Oh, and don't flatter yourself by thinking I give a damn about you or your personal information.

It might interest you (maybe somebody else ??) to know that before you were born, there were some gays working for real railroads. The ones I knew did their jobs, looked us in the eye, and earned enough respect from enough of their co-workers to fit in and keep their jobs. None of us cared about their private lives. We were just happy that they didn't expect special treatment, or tuck their tails between their legs and whine about how unfair life is.

You and Ross need to start your own railroad :-p would be quite the operation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:10 pm 

Even though I don't agree with Mr Rowland on any number of issues, he is much more courteous than most of his detractors. He's entitled to his opinions, same as those who disagree with him. How many of them want to play show and tell with their resumes and work records against his ?? Be my guest.

25 years ago, the renowned railroad artist and DL&W Towerman, Don Wallworth, sent me a video of Mr Rowland running C&O 614 while making up a train for a trip on NJ Transit. In the first place, his engine sparkled like the Milky Way, and there were no drips or steam leaks, or funny noises of any kind whatsoever. In fact 614's exhaust was even as a metronome. At times he had ahold of a couple dozen passenger cars, and he took off like a bat out of Hell when they told him to take em A-head, with never a drop of smoke or hint of a wheel slip, or any delay due to having more air set than needed. Every single time they told him to stop, he set em right down, just far enough past the switch so the points wouldn't bind. He was ready the instant they said bring em back, and got em rolling plenty fast. As they counted cars you could see the slack stretch out as he feathered the air. Every single coupling was like a butterfly landing on a rose petal. He never had to try again, and he never wasted any time at all. They were done in just over 20 minutes. I've never seen ANYBODY switch better than that.

Every Christmas, he invites everybody to stop by the NH&I to get acquainted, and wishes good tidings to all. I would be honored to work for him, or to have the opportunity to learn from him.

CZ, you obviously don't realize what a great compliment you've paid me.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 pm 

SD70dude wrote:
QJdriver wrote:
You aren't going to make a railroader with a phony name.

For several years CN had a supervisor in Toronto who was a wanted American fugitive. I think he actually made a half decent trainmaster.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-s ... -brampton/

CN management class photo:

https://mobile.facebook.com/CNrail/phot ... 23/?type=3

You know there's a theory that DB Cooper was actually a trainmaster on Conrail in North Jersey.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:20 pm 

You may not know it Cz but you have met your match, and lost a long time ago. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:31 pm 

John Risley wrote:
You may not know it Cz but you have met your match, and lost a long time ago. Regards, John.

I have no clue what that means and almost sounds like a threat?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:36 pm 

You don't have to take this advice, CZ, but you might consider getting a clue.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:41 pm 

Unfortunately, it appears that it may be time to call in the moderators on this one. Or perhaps I should defer to Oha for that task...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5rbPlsdHw

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next