It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ex-Canadian Pacific No. 1238 Coming East
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:26 pm 

It looks like there could be another steam loco in operation one of these days:
Congratulations to the Waterloo Central.

https://waterloocentralrailway.com/equipment/cpr1238/

Post subject: Re: Ex-Canadian Pacific No. 1238 Coming East
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:30 pm 

A friend brought the two Pacifics up from Virginia. There was a supply of spare parts also. Ex-CPR No. 1201 used to run a lot down this way but has been stored for years. It will be great to see another 1200 running.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:50 pm 

Interesting that 1238 was chosen over 1286. When George Hart ran the locomotives, 1286 always led 1238. 1286 retained the Canadian feedwater heater, whereas 1238's was removed, probably by CPR.
I'm told 1201 has to be shimmed at the frame in order to run without severe damage, and the people in Ottawa are unlikely to allow the locomotive to be fired again. Pity.
1293 remains in the best hands possible at AOS Roundhouse, along with 1278. 1278 will require a total rebuild from the ground upwards due to firebox destruction and negligence while on the Gettysburg Railroad, and will likely remain as a possible parts supplier to 1293.
1246 is always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Hopefully a proposal and flowers will come calling.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:06 pm 

In the late 1970s, or was it the early 1980s, a crew of us went to Steamtown in Bellows Falls. There were three 1200s in steam that weekend, plus the 2317.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:46 am 

quote: "278 will require a total rebuild from the ground upwards due to firebox destruction and negligence while on the Gettysburg Railroad, and will likely remain as a possible parts supplier to 1293."

Richard could you please define some of the repairs the #1278 is needing from the firebox "explosion". I saw pictures of the damage and despite all the hoopla that became of this tragic incident. to my untrained eye didn't look all that bad. The design saved the firebox more or less. So I question the "total rebuild from the ground up". Please let me know what else happened. Maybe the maintenance was all deferred and the locomotive is worn out or less than stellar repairs need to be gone over? Not trying to be a problem here but would like to know. Thanks. Regards, John Risley.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:20 pm 

If you click on the link in the first post: where is that picture taken?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:34 pm 

John, the best person to ask is Ross Rowland, who was involved in the forensic examination of the 1278. In previous conversations, some of which may be searched in this group, it has been stated that her cab plumbing was absolutely blocked with mineral deposits. In certain cases, pipes were simply cut off and capped.
There is a public NTSB PDF online which details the total grim damage in detail.
As far as the crown sheet goes, AOSR retains the destroyed piece for instructional purposes but no longer displays it.
Rebuilding the 1278 is possible, but will require massive expenditure which could be put towards rebuilding a less damaged locomotive.

Addition: https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-stud ... IR9605.pdf

Last edited by Richard Glueck on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:12 pm 

ctjacks wrote:
If you click on the link in the first post: where is that picture taken?

I believe that is at the Prairie Dog Central north of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:21 pm 

Thank you Richard for the returned response. I reread the link again and I appreciate it. This accident happened almost 30 years ago and represent a major change in tourist railroading in running, maintenance and responsibility in record keeping. Actually a blessing in disguise as the accident truly raised awareness. Reading the report this could of happened at the majority of tourist rr at the time. I think back to my own experiences around steam and tourist RR back in 1970s and early 1980s. I shudder. Both from operating {others} and working in the shop. A million and one things can go wrong unintentionally by all participants. "I forgot" was a comedy act by Steve Martin, not an excuse in a FRA investigation. I focus on the Gettysburg accident as a singular error is a mistake. In hindsight, 20/20 vision is pretty common.

To me I would not write off #1278 judging by the reports or the history of the accident. To attach a stigma because of the accident is foolhardy at best. To choose to rebuild her might be too, if less work would be needed on a different locomotive. I do not propose it be restored for any particular reason other than it could be and not lose sight of that. Class ones year ago would not bat an eye on repairs. Luckily there are many of the #1200s around. Ross if you have any more hard core reasons I would like to hear them. More inquiring minds kind of "Wanting to know more".

The perfect storm and valuable lesson on what can go wrong.

Richard thanks again. John.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:42 pm 

Just an afterthought or three-

My understanding is, she was an easy steamer, ran beautifully, and had been rebuilt by Steamtown, Vt., to the highest of standards.

I agree, it's a shame to see her sit cold, when in the days of unlimited railroad funds, she'd be booked for heavy repairs after cause assessment. A difficult choice for a museum, and best left to them.

There have been two boiler accidents I can recall which changed "hobby play" with real equipment. One was a steam tractor, the other was 1278 placed in the hands of fools.
Tighter regulations are a pain, expensive, and worth every penny when operating steam power. Here's a case where government oversight saves lives.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:45 pm 

Do we really need all this off topic discussion about other engines? Let's keep to the subject.

As regards the Elesco FWH, only ones so equipped were G5d CLC built 1272 to 1301.

Reason for 1238 choice is due to it being an Eastern Lines engine while 1286 was a Western Lines engine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:48 pm 

R.L.Kennedy wrote:
Do we really need all this off topic discussion about other engines? Let's keep to the subject.

Amen.

Thank you for the additional insights about CPR 1238.

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:16 pm 

For reasons we could never explain the 1286 was a breeze to run and fire and the 1238 was next to impossible to keep hot. WE did everything we could think of to change that without success.

I wish the new owners every success with the 1248.

As to restoring the Gettysburg G-5 forget it. There are pages and pages of candidate locomotives tht make tons more sense then that one.

IHO- Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:22 pm 

Years ago (1972-3) I looked at 1238 and 1286 when they were stored in Wilmington Del.
1238 had some motion parts stamped with numbers of other 1200s. The story I was told around that time is that when George Hart and Ben Kantner (his RDG boilermaker) went to Winnipeg to look at CPR engines, 1238 was "next in line" at the end of the cutting track. "If you can get them to put the parts back, you should get this one, and 1286", was what Kantner supposedly told Hart. Maybe Kurt Bell (or someone else) can shed some light on this story.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:54 pm 

There are six locomotive of this one class in existence. Talking of the future operations of one of them and the history of those operated seems appropriate. Discussion of those of a class in preservation seems fine.
1238 was usually a "follower", now she's a "leader". Let's wish her the best in years to come.