It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wheels and Axels
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:14 pm 

J.David wrote:
Greetings:
In addition to the Boxpok and Baldwin Disc Wheels, there similar cast driving wheels made by The Locomotive Finished Material Co. of Atchison, Kansas. These were characterized by openings which were more angular than those of the other manufactures.
Some of the Santa Fe's 4-6-2 type steam locomotives were equipped with these when they were rebuilt. As I recall, the 3415 owned by The Abilene & Smoky Valley Railroad Museum has them.
J.David
PS: The Tang Shan Locomotive & Rolling Stock Works cast their own Boxpok style driving wheel. The axles came from another factory. JDC
Came across this page... Steam Locomotive.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:07 pm 

I don't have documentation, but the East Germans implemented Boxpok drivers on some of their (excellent!) late Pacifics -- and there was some sort of quality issue with them in service.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:16 pm 

If we are covering interesting cast drivers, we should surely mention Web-Spoke. These supposedly had most of the advantages of cast disc wheels, but at a lower cost and lighter unsprung mass.

There's at least one photograph in one of Staufer's books, I think Thoroughbreds, that shows a chassis with Boxpok, Scullin, and Web-Spoke driver pairs (!). I dimly recall somewhere that one of the 'ideas' was to use a disc main, to get the balance weighting correct without tinkering, and then use the lower-mass Web-Spoke centers on all the coupled wheels. If Voyce Glaze's balance were adopted (which only has 80lb or so overbalance in the main) all the drivers could be Web-Spoke without any perceived compromise.

There are other types of driver center, including the BFB types found in Europe and the centers used on the Victorian class R Hudsons (I forget what they're called, sorry!) which were stated to have the strength and balance advantages of a disc wheel but the lightness characteristic of a spoke wheel.