It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: East Broad Top the status of # 16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:35 am 

Hi All

What is the status of EBT 2-8-2 # 16, I know she is under restoration by the railroad. What I would like to know will the locomotive be running as of next year, as long as no unforeseen problems a rise, during her rebuilding.
I know the locomotive was fired up for the first time this past July, and yes I know there is still a lot to be done, before she can run under her own power.
Any information will be helpful, and I do appreciate it.
There is any information on either the friends of EBT website, of the East Broad Top website, thank you Pat.

Post subject: Re: East Broad Top the status of # 16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:27 am 

Seeing as a number of former Strasburg Railroaders are working behind the scenes at EBT on this, I will borrow that Strasburg quote:

"Don't ask when!"

They're in the home stretch. It'll be done when it's done and we will all be thankful for it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:16 am 

I'd rather have no updates and a "Surprise, it's done" than fifty broken promises of "It'll be running in 2 months".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:01 pm 

Agreed that it's better not to put a timeline on completion. However, the EBT has missed a huge opportunity from a fundraising, educational, and advertising standpoint. Instead of keeping the locomotive's restoration under the cloak of secrecy, why not put out some bi-annual or quarterly shop reports? The FEBT seem to be pretty apt at sharing their progress reports on various buildings and projects. For whatever reason, the shops have been mum, save for an occasional tease.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:27 pm 

So I was given a really good reason for keeping the first overhaul on the quiet side. Do the EBT guys want to accidentally double the population of Orbisonia in the space of a few hours? They've all seem to got the sense that the moment steam starts running they'll have a lot of people showing up. Same deal with the trolley museum next door. Better to keep it quiet and as soon as the paint is try and everything is all set, then open the floodgates.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:59 pm 

The EBTF owes the public, nor the collective RYPN braintrust absolutely nothing. They can conduct themselves, their restorations and how vocal they choose to be on social media as they see fit. The updates they do provide are a courtesy, not a requirement.

Patience is a virtue.

DC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:06 pm 

The older I get the less virtuous I become..... but I agree completely. There's a lot of balls being juggled not only with the locomotive but with the required context surrounding it to sustain operation with too many possibilities for glitches to make anything like a commitment much less a guesstimate until much further down the line.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:51 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
So I was given a really good reason for keeping the first overhaul on the quiet side. Do the EBT guys want to accidentally double the population of Orbisonia in the space of a few hours? They've all seem to got the sense that the moment steam starts running they'll have a lot of people showing up. Same deal with the trolley museum next door. Better to keep it quiet and as soon as the paint is try and everything is all set, then open the floodgates.

Dylan, With all due respect, I'm not seeing your logic. And how exactly are periodical shop reports going to contribute to a sea of foam descending upon Orbisonia? You don't have to advertise steam-ups. The EBT themselves posted teases of the first steam-up on Facebook in August and I didn't see the streets lined with vehicles. Remember, the shops are off limits, and probably for good reason. When the break-in runs occur, I'm sure the railfan community will find out one way or another. What has been lost by the silence is a lot of enthusiasm, potential donations and an important interpretive tool to showcase craftsmanship and the work being performed, not only for the diehard but for the random tourist or future visitor. Let's remember, EBT needs all the advertising, publicity and push they can get. After all, the railroad died out once, with steam operating regularly. Finally, the EBT No. 16 is not the 2102. I'm sorry if I don't share in their paranoia.

Last edited by msrlha_archivist on Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:54 pm 

Donald Cormack wrote:
The EBTF owes the public, nor the collective RYPN braintrust absolutely nothing. They can conduct themselves, their restorations and how vocal they choose to be on social media as they see fit. The updates they do provide are a courtesy, not a requirement.

Patience is a virtue.

DC

You're right. They owe us nothing. And in return we owe them the same. The only point I'm making is that a teaching and publicity opportunity was missed, avoided or lost. The No. 16 is a forgotten restoration to many.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:13 pm 

Speaking in general terms... I do think a 501c3 non profit educational organization should be extremely transparent with how they conduct their restorations and themselves...especially when actively seeking money for said project/s.

Keeping secrets is a huge turn off to how people donate money, and even visit/volunteer. Something seen countless times in railway preservation, and I feel a big reason so many places are on life support.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:27 pm 

Wow, the hens are certainly clucking on this one. It's easy to see who's handled a restoration and who has been a sideline expert.

It will be ready when it is finished.

It is a pretty bold statement to say they are not reaching out to possible donors unless one is on the team. I am not on the team so I can neither support or deny such a statement.

Merry Christmas............mld

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:58 pm 

mldeets wrote:
Wow, the hens are certainly clucking on this one. It's easy to see who's handled a restoration and who has been a sideline expert.

It will be ready when it is finished.

It is a pretty bold statement to say they are not reaching out to possible donors unless one is on the team. I am not on the team so I can neither support or deny such a statement.

Merry Christmas............mld

Merry Christmas, Pete. Other than the OP, nobody here is asking for a timeline or estimated finish date. Who said they aren't reaching out to donors? They could be calling folks on the phone right now, seeking donations. The important point is that they're not publicly showcasing restoration efforts.

Heck, even your home museum in Wisconsin produces detailed and wonderful shop reports with every bolt hole drilled on the 1385.

Last edited by msrlha_archivist on Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:59 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
Isn't it part of their purpose to bring tourist (and/or foamer) dollars into that depressed area? I'm sure that local businesses would be happy to see a little more custom. Not to mention the trolley, and EBT's own passenger service.

In my previous job, I would always ask for permission to post reports of the mechanical work being done, and tourist lines and museums always answered with an enthusiastic "yes", happy to get all of the free advertising they could. Usually, the only customers to require a gag order were the ginormous corporations of which the steam train component had a smaller budget than the legal department. From the outside looking in, the silence does not compute for EBT.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:14 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
From the outside looking in, the silence does not compute for EBT.

Of course it computes Kelly, you know who's running the show in the roundhouse there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:30 pm 

Three points:

(1) There are at least two announced photo charters upcoming at the EBT.

(2) #16 is just one item on the very long list of amazing accomplishments happening at the EBT.

(3) The railroad's "How to Help" website page says to volunteer with and donate to the Friends of the EBT.

You still have 10 days left to make your tax year 2022 donations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next