It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: East Broad Top the status of # 16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:56 pm 

msrlha_archivist wrote:
There isn't much surrounding infrastructure for food, lodging, etc. The current ride isn't exactly the most scenic. It's a rural area and there isn't a lot of draw yet. Orbisonia and the EBT are a sacred place to most of us, but at the end of the day, it doesn't have the same recipe for success (yet) as Durango, Cass, Strasburg, Chama, etc. Therefore, it will be interesting to see their plans and how it unfolds.

Totally agree. I visited EBT last summer and was surprised how little tourist infrastructure there was in the area. I stayed in a B&B in Huntingdon; I don't think there are any hotels closer than that (about 30 minutes). And there wasn't a lot of options for dining etc. either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:00 pm 

Congratulations to all involved. Another important milestone achieved.

The upcoming 2/18-2/19 Winter Spectacular will be that much richer !!

Thanks again to Wick Moorman, Bennett Levin and Henry Posner for taking the reins and bringing this national treasure back to life !!!

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:06 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
InterlockingTower wrote:
Kelly Anderson wrote:
[sarcasm]Whatever you do, for God's sakes don't take any photos of it, that's not allowed![/saracsm]

That quite literally seems to be the case. All social media posts from the locals are deleted almost as soon as they're posted. From what I've been seeing, several locals (my family included) are unhappy with how the railroad's staff have been treating them, including one being told to clean up their yard because people do not like to look at eyesores. Almost all the big names that were crucial to keeping the place standing before purchase have left or been pushed out due to current management. The people running that railroad think they run and own the entire town of Orbisonia and are getting the locals steamed up in all the wrong ways.

I don’t know Orbisonia/RF to make a concerted valid judgement on this. But I would imagine it’s kind of a two way street.

Anything I’ve gotten from the EBT on social media in this regime has told me they very much want to control their own narrative, if you could call it that. Don’t let someone else break the stories when that’s what they want to do. And that sometimes can be a bit controlling or even obsessive, I certainly understand why people would be upset about that.

On the other hand, I don’t know the locals (or how many) who were upset or for what reasons. In a vacuum, a request made to clean garbage or junk from a yard doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, especially if you are indeed receiving plenty of visitors whom they want to give a good impression toward.

I won’t bother trying to think of things relating to the “previous maintenance people” bc I just don’t know much of anything about the potential politics regarding that.

The appearance of the area has essentially been the same long before the railroad shut down. It's a rural mountain area with a population and appearance that reflects that. You will not find much looking pristine there, but you will find people who like minding their own business and expect others to do the same. You can't expect the entire area to sweep up because one entity decided to do business there. One could argue that people do not want to ride through an amusement park when travelling along Strasburg's route.

You'll also find a population of people who do not like being condescended, insulted, and ridiculed, which the new EBT management has been quite good at.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:17 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
bigjim4life wrote:
I don’t think you need to be a Facebook member to see the video, but #16 is officially moving under steam for the first time in many many years… https://fb.watch/iqxzfNfupI/?mibextid=l066kq

But what whistle will it wear?

[runs for cover]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:42 pm 

InterlockingTower wrote:
The appearance of the area has essentially been the same long before the railroad shut down. It's a rural mountain area with a population and appearance that reflects that. You will not find much looking pristine there, but you will find people who like minding their own business and expect others to do the same. You can't expect the entire area to sweep up because one entity decided to do business there. One could argue that people do not want to ride through an amusement park when travelling along Strasburg's route.

You'll also find a population of people who do not like being condescended, insulted, and ridiculed, which the new EBT management has been quite good at.

You can also see where they would be coming from in that circumstance, when it comes to cleaning up a bit that is. Some out of towners wouldn’t come back if the town looked a certain way or had a certain feel they didn’t end up liking.

Strasburg isn’t exactly the best comparison to the EBT in that regard because the railroad and museum close to it aren’t directly in the town of Strasburg, and the right of way is mostly next to rural farmland. The scenery and Amish culture is pretty much an amusement. Idyllic really.

The EBT if you take a look at Google maps, does have several homes that it will pass very closely especially in the segment between RF and Saltillo they’re restoring. And unfortunately that kind of rough around the edges feel doesn’t appeal to everyone visiting. Especially if you want to appeal more to a larger group of individuals.

I don’t know anything about the claims of “ridicule and condescending behavior” you’ve laid out, I’m not affiliated with the EBT nor am I from that area, so I can’t speak on it. But what I can say is that this is a typical rural town with an atypical attraction. It won’t be a surprise to me if there is indeed some choice words to be had.

Enough about that though. This is a huge step for them in restoring #16!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:58 pm 

Mark Hedges wrote:
I visited EBT last summer and was surprised how little tourist infrastructure there was in the area.
Same thing at Chama. I've always wondered why neither place had any appreciable infrastructure for tourism as in each place, there'd been tourist trains for decades (though not lately for the EBT, but not much was there back in the glory days of the operation).
It's almost like the locals were unaware of the EBT at all. I'd only gone there once, when I was in MD in the Army, I drove out there one Saturday in 1998. I'll never forget it; nobody was in the parking lot at the depot, no signs on the doors saying why they were closed that day, the brochures didn't mention that weekend being anything special.
I asked around at the few businesses I could find open, and everyone shrugged when I asked. One clerk essentially said the locals never pay attention to the line.
As I left town, I doubled back and there was still nobody around, not even another car with someone else wondering.
That was my one chance to look and ride and I missed it. To this day, I have no idea how everyone on earth knew the line wasn't running that weekend but me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:02 pm 

The twin towns of Rockhill & Orbisonia will be just fine and both have already benefited substantially courtesy of the rebirth of the EBT.

Let's stay focused on the fact that this project will be THE railway preservation story of greatest significance for at least this decade and perhaps beyond.

The EBTF is committed to restoring the entire 31 mile railroad back to active service, restoring the entire Rockhill shop complex to full working order and eventually restoring all 6 steam locomotives to service. The shop complex is the finest example of early 20th. century industrial machinery extant anywhere in the nation and the 31 miles of ng track represent the sole eastern ng railroad that survived intact exactly as it was in service.

In sum, a preserved industrial treasure of national importance.

I'm sure that when it is all back in service it will attract a very substantial audience that will come from all corners of the nation to see a completely self sufficient railroad functioning exactly as it did a century ago.

Keep your eye on the prize not the little side issues.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:11 pm 

Mark Hedges wrote:
I visited EBT last summer and was surprised how little tourist infrastructure there was in the area.

You know how the railroad runs along the Aughwick Creek - on the other side of the creek is a former farm that is now used as a religious retreat center and campground. My understanding is that it hosts multiple events throughout the year, including a multi-day religious music festival.

There are a few other campgrounds in and around Orbisonia. The nearest chain hotels and Walmart are up in Huntington, which is just 22 miles from Orbisonia. There are even more chain hotels in Breezewood, which is just 38 miles from Orbisonia,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:21 am 

If what some are saying about the attitude of the new EBT management is true, they have not learned the sad lessons of community relations that brought down the West Virginia Northern.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:46 am 

Hi All
Steam is back on the East Broad Top, according to there Facebook page # 16 has been fired up, for the first time in many years, and has moved under her own power. There is a short video of her on the turntable, that lasts a minute and a half.
It has been a long time coming but Steam is back on the EBT, Congratulations to the shop crew, and the railroad, for bringing back Steam.
Now let's hope all tests on the locomotive are successful, Pat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:52 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
co614 wrote:
The twin towns of Rockhill & Orbisonia will be just fine and both have already benefited substantially courtesy of the rebirth of the EBT.

Let's stay focused on the fact that this project will be THE railway preservation story of greatest significance for at least this decade and perhaps beyond.

The EBTF is committed to restoring the entire 31 mile railroad back to active service, restoring the entire Rockhill shop complex to full working order and eventually restoring all 6 steam locomotives to service. The shop complex is the finest example of early 20th. century industrial machinery extant anywhere in the nation and the 31 miles of ng track represent the sole eastern ng railroad that survived intact exactly as it was in service.

In sum, a preserved industrial treasure of national importance.

I'm sure that when it is all back in service it will attract a very substantial audience that will come from all corners of the nation to see a completely self sufficient railroad functioning exactly as it did a century ago.

Keep your eye on the prize not the little side issues.

I don't know about you, but I'm old enough to remember almost the exact same things being said about Steamtown USA and Scranton, 35 or so years ago, save for the "ng"................ so you'll forgive some of us if we remain skeptical about anyone using such bombastic language about rail preservation.

It's nice to be optimistic, but one has to keep the rest of the "real world" in the picture.

And, NO, this isn't an excuse to go off on another long-winded anti-NPS/government tirade about Steamtown NHS. WE ALL KNOW your feelings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:07 am 

Yes, not to in any way diminish the magnitude of what they have accomplished and what they plan to accomplish, but how much will the general public care? Given the people involved, I would assume that marketing, sustainability and business plans were considered very carefully before such mundane things as track and rolling stock work. Taking the family 22 miles off the main drag on a short and costly vacation isn't an inconsequential ask to most people........

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 am 

Here's a u-tube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAraXcfdcWk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:10 am 

Well I know I... do not represent John Q Public but the very reasons some pundits here are saying it won't work and the public does or doesn't like this or that, is the very reason I will to go to EBT. If you want to be a tourista go to Dollywood {I do want to go here too} for the glitz or your local big city zoo. The undertones of the last few threads seem to be more about "me and my feelings" then of actual real time experience.

Example, from my perspective. While traveling in the mountains of Eastern KY or TN I get off in some very small town and at night it looks like the strip in Lost Wages, Nv. All the fast food places with neon signs and large convenience gas stations to me are a turn off to what was once unique small town. In many ways like any small town in Wi. Find a small quaint town that for whatever reasons has missed all the blight and you got something special. Again it is my perspective and might not be the same for you. I do not need 10 motels, Costco and Walmart to make my
steam experience complete. I can get that nearby just about anywhere in the country. This is the draw to me of places like Nevada Northern, Chama, NM, North Freedom, Wi. If you want everyday shopping and tourist attractions go to Wi Dells/Six Flags. And many many people do just that. There is a market for old fashioned industrial/rural USA. Frankly by some of the posters here, I am kind of glad they are turned off by the success of EBT. The small towns will adjust in time. Small towns are often slow to adjust to any change and like here at Rypn they will talk how they prefer the old days where nobody complained about your messy living styles. Go to the Rez of your choice and start a campaign to scrap rusty cars tipped over on their roofs. See how that works out for you. Goodness, a national treasure is saved and we hear all this negative crap?

In North Freedom, Wi home of Mid Continent that town is small and hardly changed at all in the last 50 years. The canning factory and feedmill are gone. But most of it looks pretty much the same. Many members who stay overnight go to Baraboo which has all the restaurants and motels. North Freedom has none. If you want to get some food you bring it or go to Baraboo. I have always gone to one or two of the bars in town and grabbed a pizza or burger off their grill. I like it better than Hardees or some "all you can gag" place. I go for the experience of where I am at and not drive and spend the evening chasing what I can get anytime where I live. True, some members have pissed off the locals, as most are city people with an attitude that rubs small town people wrong. Rubs me wrong too. Sometimes city people rub other city people wrong. We live on earth folks. Happens everytime a rr gets a steam engine running, the armchair directors come out of the woodwork to inform the world what was done wrong and it won't ever pull a train this year. Sorry to ramble so.

Congrats EBT, rock on! Regards, John.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:43 am 

Does EBT have a cat that poses for visitors' photos like at Nevada Northern?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next