It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ten Dollars a Gallon (or more)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:55 pm 

You want to really put more money into roads and cut costs at the same time. Then start by removing the prevailing wage law for anything that is paid for by Federal Fuel taxes. My neighbor drives for a teamsters represented company that hauls for paving contracts. On government contracts he's getting 50 an hour compared to the normal rate of 30. So do the math people. The operators union has the same deals.

In the 90s Clinton opened up the highway trust fund to allow for mass transit funding. States now divert billions of dollars for that instead of keeping the roads repaired. Also the last time we as a nation raised the fuel taxes was in 92 30 years ago. Prices are doubled now for materials compared to 92. Even the OTR industry is saying it needs to be increased by 50 percent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:06 pm 

Latest reports have container freight volumes shrinking significantly now, compared to same month last year, at all US ports. This could have significant impact if the trend continues:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/us-co ... -shrinking

PC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:30 pm 

PCook wrote:
Latest reports have container freight volumes shrinking significantly now, compared to same month last year, at all US ports. This could have significant impact if the trend continues:

PC

Interesting given that one of the reasons given for "economic softness" in the beginning of THIS year was overheated inventory buildup during this time of the previous year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:06 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
PCook wrote:

PC

Interesting given that one of the reasons given for "economic softness" in the beginning of THIS year was overheated inventory buildup during this time of the previous year.

Actually, the big story last year was shortages. With most inventories if there is excess; you move it with sales and discounts There are very few inventories that don't have significant losses in value over a year, and sellers monitor inventories like hawks; too much is wasted capital; too little risks stock outs.

https://www.shopify.com/retail/inventory-shortages

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2022 ... -increase/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... rs-at-risk

https://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/wh ... ed-525302/

https://today.uconn.edu/2021/10/supply- ... -holidays/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:13 pm 

The supply chains for too many product lines are way too long and have too many intermediate steps crossing country boundaries that are subject to all forms of local 'interference'.

From a US perspective, many of those supply chains need to be brought totally back on shore.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:41 pm 

mmi16 wrote:
From a US perspective, many of those supply chains need to be brought totally back on shore.

Particularly true since it is a national defense concern. The Federal Stock System supplying parts for the military has been dealing in recent years with the problem of foreign-made parts getting into the system through US distributors. Those might not be available in an international crisis, the foreign sources might not be able to transport the product or worse. To counter similar situations in the availability of diesel and jet propulsion fuels there were various projects over many years to study the viability of domestically produced alternative fuels. The primary barrier to these has been cost. But if price or supply chain issues were to influence availability of diesel, other alternatives might suddenly be more acceptable.

PC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:42 pm 

Apology Accepted Captain Needa:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/ ... 8072770560

It's been 25 days since @TuckerCarlson
reported that we'd run out of diesel in 25.9 days... and we have actually more diesel then we did when his wildly inaccurate report ran on Oct. 28.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:51 pm 

The election is over. Nobody cares that the crisis was never actually a crisis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:54 pm 

choodude wrote:
Apology Accepted Captain Needa:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/ ... 8072770560

It's been 25 days since @TuckerCarlson
reported that we'd run out of diesel in 25.9 days... and we have actually more diesel then we did when his wildly inaccurate report ran on Oct. 28.

Brian

Brian, Good to hear Tucker's message was taken to heart and the then-25.9 day revolving inventory of diesel has increased. What's it at now for the record? By the way, if you read his entire dialogue, you'd learn that we would only run out of fuel if production or delivery stopped that day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:40 pm 

Yeah, well, the Sheetz chain in PA is selling their 88 octane for $1.99 this week, and I have seen 87 octane in my corner of the state for $3.85.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:51 am 

G. W. Laepple wrote:
Yeah, well, the Sheetz chain in PA is selling their 88 octane for $1.99 this week, and I have seen 87 octane in my corner of the state for $3.85.

True, but the 88 Octane is E15. Check your owners manual to see if your vehicle can handle it.

I'm pretty sure small engines like those in lawnmowers and snow blowers can not.

Brian

EDIT:

From my 2009 Dodge Ram 2500, with the Hemi Engine, owners Manual:

"Non-FFV vehicles are compatible with gasoline contain-
ing 10% ethanol (E10). Gasoline with higher ethanol
content may void the vehicle’s warranty."

It is true that most gas sold in Pennsylvania is E10. It must be legal to sell E15, since Sheetz is doing it. They use a separate pump nozzle for the fuel.

Last edited by choodude on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:15 am 

I’ve had to do a few small carb rebuilds due to ethanol with kits that’ll handle up to 15%. I think most road gas in PA and OH has up to 10% by law unless that changed, still enough to affect older small equipment. ORHS is in an agricultural area so we use ag gas in our motor cars and small equipment. Ag gas has no ethanol and is more expensive but at least it doesn’t go after any rubber or plastic parts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:30 am 

Gasoline with ethanol is fine for the family car that you are driving every day. However, it does not store well and should not be used in vehicles that see periodic use, such as antiques.
Some folks use aviation gasoline in collector vehicles because it has a longer guaranteed storage time and higher octane.
I use Shell V-Power non-ethanol in my old vehicles. Presently, it is at around $2.00 per litre ($8 per U.S. gallon) but one bites the bullet and pays the bux to give some peace of mind that it will remain stable in the vehicle's tank.
In railway preservation, if you have gasoline powered vehicles, please do not risk damaging carburetors and fuel systems by using ethanol-based gasoline. I have seen the damage it can do.
Ethanol is a killer for small engines. Companies like Stihl supply premixed fuel for things like chain saws and weed eaters. That is the best bet for the home owner, or even museum operations who use those machines infrequently, or place them in storage for extended periods.
Diesel was around $2.35/litre ($9.40/U.S. Gallon) here in Ontario, but has come down a bit.
Not sure where the controversy is? Higher fuel prices, whether abetted by government carbon taxes as here in Canada, or by foreign influences, will have negative impacts on travel, attendance at events and museums, and the general good of the populace. I have neighbours who have changed jobs to more local companies to get around high fuel costs. Pensioners and others have fewer options.
As far as politics on RYPN threads, I do not know how one can divorce politics from living in the real world? Politics, whether local zoning issues, provincial or state rules, or federal policies will effect your museum or railway operation. How can you say otherwise? Politics should be on the table and needs to be discussed. It may be unpleasant at times, but needs to be included.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:22 pm 

Great Western wrote:
As far as politics on RYPN threads, I do not know how one can divorce politics from living in the real world? Politics, whether local zoning issues, provincial or state rules, or federal policies will effect your museum or railway operation. How can you say otherwise? Politics should be on the table and needs to be discussed. It may be unpleasant at times, but needs to be included.

Agreed. Politics should be discussed as it pertains to legislation, current or proposed, that affects us as an industry. However, I do object to inter-party sniping, dog whistles, baiting and bickering. We’re all in this together and need to be working towards common goals, not bitching at or provoking each other.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:45 am 

Here is a USEIA chart for reference:

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=54619

PC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next