It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ten Dollars a Gallon (or more)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:14 pm 

Mike drop: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2022/11/climate-tipping-points-real-threats-or.html?m=1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:50 am 

p51 wrote:

FTA: "Those pushing climate tipping points are doing the devil's work."

Yeah, that's not the mic drop you think it is.

Let's look at one of his quotes: "No evidence has been found for irreversibility or tipping points, suggesting that year-round sea ice will return given a suitable climate". This is a real quote from the IPCC report (I checked), but it doesn't prove his point. The crackpot blog author is using this quote to try to say there is no tipping point, but the focus should be on the "given a suitable climate". Yes, if the climate cools enough eventually the sea ice will return, but if the climate does not cool enough for the ice to reform then that's a tipping point. It means the temperate has increased enough that ice can no longer form.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:06 pm 

Then ask the Alaskan crab fishing fleet if they are seeing an increase in sea ice. In the last few years areas that have been ice free have been becoming more often lost to pack ice during the winter crabbing season. The processing plants at St Paul Island are bring lost due to Iraq on a routine basis. This never happened 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:48 pm 

ironeagle2006 wrote:
Then ask the Alaskan crab fishing fleet if they are seeing an increase in sea ice. In the last few years areas that have been ice free have been becoming more often lost to pack ice during the winter crabbing season. The processing plants at St Paul Island are bring lost due to Iraq on a routine basis. This never happened 10 years ago.

Yet another example of the fallacy that climate change effects will be uniform all over the globe.

Where I live, the average first and last frost days have moved a month out from where they were when we moved here only 25 years ago. The frost free growing season is two months longer.

That does not mean I expect that change to be the same elsewhere.

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:58 pm 

On CNN today.

West Texas Intermediate crude oil futures, the US benchmark, slid 2.7% on Monday to trade close to $74 a barrel, a level last reached in December 2021.

Global oil prices have fallen about 35% since June...

FWIW.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:09 am 

Good source for news on the greasy black stuff:

https://oilprice.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:23 am 

Bottom line is, if the US were to halt all carbon emissions now the predicted change in earth's temperature could only be measured in the thousandths of a degree, but the harm done to the people living here would be incalculable. Basically life here would cease to exist.

China's carbon output will soon dwarf ours and they are not planning to cut back until they have used up all the coal and oil they can get their hands on. US mines are selling coal to China. Since it is going to be burned anyways, why not use it to benefit us?

Many of us run museums and we could use our platforms to educate our visitors on the benefits of fossil fuels and maybe start dispelling the myths that the planet is dying from carbon. A little bit of pushback is needed if we are to preserve the American way of life that we are accustomed to, not to mention the freedom to continue to operate our railroads.

If we do not get cooler heads to prevail in this, we are heading toward a future where us average folk will not be able to afford to live the lifestyles that we have become accustomed to. And guess who visits rail museums and tourist railroads? Middle class people with disposable incomes.

The current drop in crude prices are good but has not affected diesel prices at all. Diesel is still in short supply, largely caused by shortsighted decisions made in Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:20 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
If we do not get cooler heads to prevail...
Indeed. That applies to both ends of the spectrum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:38 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
Rick Rowlands wrote:
If we do not get cooler heads to prevail...
Indeed. That applies to both ends of the spectrum.

It is not possible. . . PERIOD.

There is nothing anybody could say or provide factual links to actual real observed scientific studies, about how the "WEATHER" is obviously changing in the recent few decades, that would not be ignored or blown out and ridiculed as "FAKE NEWS" by Climate Change Deniers. Of Which there are many of them folks here actively posting on this website.

Isn't it Wonderful that all those folks that died from Asbestosis passed before them $%^&*(%$ Libertard Lawyers finally got thorough the Delay, Linger, and Wait for Studies legal strategy that the Tobacco and Fossil Fuel Industries is still using to great advantage (for them) ?

I don't expect to have grandchildren. So I hope my kids don't have too much extra burden from such brainwashing. I can see it now - You Didn't Recycle Hard Enough!!!!!!!

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:00 pm 

choodude wrote:
It is not possible. . . PERIOD.

There is nothing anybody could say or provide factual links to actual real observed scientific studies, about how the "WEATHER" is obviously changing in the recent few decades, that would not be ignored or blown out and ridiculed as "FAKE NEWS" by Climate Change Deniers. Of Which there are many of them folks here actively posting on this website.
Brian

The big issues that us "deniers" (we aren't actually denying anything, we are practicing science by asking questions and posing alternative theories) are concerned with is the veracity of the temperature data which we know has been altered, the fact that the majority of computer models are all overestimating warming and disregarding any other explanations for change in weather that does not include climate change. Then there are those such as Dr. Happer who claims that CO2 does not have the forcing effect that is predicted to have (backed up by the models that cannot reproduce past climate conditions) and that the earth actually benefits from the increased CO2.

If you could provide the facts and evidence that you claim to have, I could present mine and we could hash things out. But all we get is rhetoric that "the debate is over" and slurs such as "climate denier" that in no way will foster any mutual conclusions being made.

So if you want to bring people over to your side, first step is to remove "climate denier" from your vocabulary and treat us with some respect.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:03 pm 

I wish that more people were aware of or paid attention to the fact that Fox News successfully defended itself from a lawsuit by stipulating that (paraphrasing here) Tucker Carlson was on the payroll as an entertainer, not a journalist, and that no reasonable person would believe anything that he says.

I understand that MSNBC used a similar defense regarding Rachel Maddow's comments as well.

Isn't there a Bible reference stating, "Moderation in all things"?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:27 pm 

Yes as Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow's shows are opinion shows and not news shows. For straight news on Fox you go to Bret Baier, but Tucker, Hannity, Levin, etc. are all clearly opinion snows.

There are alternative ways to learn now that we have social media, youtube and the like, and much of what I learn about climate change comes from the very scientists who are promoting competing theories. Their arguments are compelling, they are showing their evidence and taking great personal risks to do so. With all things being equal I am more willing to believe someone who risks everything to give his conclusions over someone who is heavily funded and who has the totality of govt. industry and popular culture expecting certain conclusions.

As I said earlier, ceasing all US emissions will not move the needle very much at all, but by trying to do so we will cause many times the damage and destruction that the warmists claim that climate change will cause. And when it comes to us, who survive on the ability to use fossil fuels, it is suicidal for any of us to believe by default what the warmists have to say without forcing them to prove it. And not only prove it, but show that net zero will not have a more detrimental impact than adaptation would have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:58 pm 

In the 20th century, it was, “What did you do during the war, Grandad?”

In the mid 21st century, it’ll be, “What did you do when we knew about climate change, Grandad?”

I don’t much care what many of you think about climate change. That’s not why we gather here.

But I guarantee that your kids and grandkids will.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:34 am 

As Mr. Rowlands correctly points out above, all the gnashing of teeth in the U.S. or Canada will not effect the temperature rise or fall to any extent. The climate will change, as it has always changed.

Where I am sitting this morning, the surrounding terrain clearly retains the scars and bumps of glacial activity in the not so distant past. Indeed, the area was covered with several hundred meters of solid ice. Now that is climate change!

It always amazes me that people are willing to vote against their own best interests and those of their families. You "climate changists" are sowing the wind. You will reap the whirlwind. Please start setting aside a fund to help supply food and clothing to the needy -- for there will certainly be more needy. And as you pull the rest of the world's people into your dark, post-modernist, neo-marxist abyss, set aside some funds to send aid to far off countries as the people begin dying of starvation.

Under the "climate changists'" regimens, the poor will get much poorer, and the middle class will see its savings consumed by the high costs of travelling to work, heating homes, and paying for essentials that are skyrocketing in cost, so the poor class will expand in an alarming fashion.

Oh! By the way, that is happening now, as witnessed by the growing tent cities in our urban areas. Many young people have already given up. All the imbeciles in the U.S. and Canada gathered together, and selected the biggest imbeciles from among them to be their leaders. And the poor become legion.

I am told we are living in a "post-Christian" society. Well, isn't that wonderful. As all the aged church congregations -- the people who actively feed and care for the poor -- pass away, who will look after the needy then. We just went through covid and none of the political class missed a paycheck. Few in the civil service class missed a paycheck. So do not expect those malignant narcissists to look after those in need. These same classes now use their useful idiots to preach climate change to us.

As for your treasured railway museums and collections, like the tree in the forest, if nobody can afford to come to see them, will they actually exist? The homeless could use your structures and railway cars for shelter and burn your few remaining chunks of coal for heat. Because, as inequity grows, those who are dispossessed will most certainly come after those who took from them. That is, unless they have starved or frozen to death first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:02 am 

Great Western wrote:
Please start setting aside a fund to help supply food and clothing to the needy

I've already donated this year to WhyHunger, an organization founded by singer Harry Chapin to help those in need. If anybody else would like to help they can do so here: https://whyhunger.org/giveharry/

I'm also willing to create and donate to a RYPN tin foil hat fund.

“Oh, if a man tried
To take his time on earth
And prove before he died
What one man's life could be worth,
I wonder what would happen to this world”
- Harry Chapin

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next